Question...

cheetah4486

OK, here is the story. I have 6 goldfish in a 30 gallon tank with 2 long bubbler strips, a recently added heater, and a carbon filter. I have been taking care of them for about a year now after a family member didn't want them anymore. They all grew up in this tank from baby fish and were doing well until one of the larger female fish became ill. I tried to self diagnose with what I thought was ich after doing some research at pet*smart and asking around to others I know who own goldfish. The one girl and my smallest boy fish started out with this bump on their side which eventually grew into a good sized lump and seemed to bleed and then some sort of white goo came out after I began medication with a anti-bacteria medicated food. They seemed to be doing better so I tried to put them all back on regular fish flake food and they became ill time after time. I tried the Jungle Life Guard tablets to treat all the fish since I was under the impression that if one got it, the others were more likely to get it since I didn't catch it right away.

Thus, here I am a few months later and a few dollar signs later, and nothing has changed. I took some pictures to try to illustrate my problem better since I just am at the end of my rope with them! I do not do the pH testing or ammonia levels. But I try to clean the tank at least once a week, since they are goldfish and all they do is poop (or so it seems!) So the filter will become clogged quite frequently. When I do water changes I try to take out about 1/4 to 1/2 of the water, depending on how much I could get out of the gravel. The past 5 water changes I began slowly taking out the rocks because my friend told me that the infection or whatever they might have could be harboring in the gravel and could be the reason for the frequent break outs. So that is where I am. No gravel and sick fish. Please let me know anything you can. I hope my descriptions are enough, but it is all I have to go off of.I took pictures of the fish but I cannot upload them into this, if there is some other way to post the pictures, please let me know. I really enjoy having the fish and I don't want to have to put them to sleep in my freezer or use whatever else is out there to kill them, I just don't have it in me to do that. Help in whatever way possible!! Thank you for your time!!

Okay, first of all your wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overstocked, regular comet goldfish need 20+ gallons each and fancy goldfish need 10+ gallons. I myself am not too knowledgeable about this stuff, but if you could answer all of these questions;

• Test Results for the Following:
    Ammonia Level?
    Nitrite Level?
    Nitrate level?
    Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?
    Ph Level out of the Tap?
  • Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?
  • What is the name and size of the filter/s?
  • How often do you change the water and how much?

How many fish in the tank and their size? <li>What kind of water additives or conditioners? <li>Any medications added to the tank? <li>Add any new fish to the tank? <li>What do you feed your fish? <li>Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? <li>Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

Then we may be able to help you!

Hello and welcome to Koko's! :)

I'm so sorry that your fish are getting sick. :( I'm not a mod or a helper, but someone will be along to help you soon, I'm sure. One thing they will need, is the information in the white box at the top of the page. If you don't have a test kit, you can take a sample of your tank water to your Pets* Mart or PetC* o and they will test it free of charge. Please ask them to write the numbers down for you, or they'll just give you an "Okay, high," or what have you, and that won't be of much help to the people here.

One other thing I noticed is that you have a lot of fish in a 30 gallon tank. While fish can live that way for quite a while with no visible problems, the bacteria's and other nasties can be growing in the water without you realizing it. You really should be doing more frequent water changes in your tank. Possibly daily - not weekly - but they'll let you know that for sure.

You might want to think about upgrading to a bigger tank, or getting another tank and re-homing some of them, so they'll be able to grow and thrive the way a fish should. :)

I wish I could be of more help, but I'm learning a lot myself. I also came here with too many fish in too small a tank, with water changes not nearly frequent enough.

For pictures, many people use Photobucket.

Best of luck to you and your fish! I hope help comes for you soon! :exactly

Debbie

Hello Cheetah and welcome :) !

It was very good of you to take over the family member's fish and I really hope we can help you with them, but it is going to take some work and a little more money. Not for meds this time. Please do not add more meds. The next thing to buy is water test kits.

It sounds as if the continued sickness is all connected to an incomplete and or bumping tank cycle which is weakening the fish and making them vulnerable to the kinds of problems that can be avoided with an understanding of how the water chemistry affects the health of the fish.

I think it will save you many more headaches, worries and dollars too if you can read up some on the nitrogen cycle (theres a link in my sig) which is the way water works in a tank to keep our fish safe. To keep fish safe you need to test the water for ammonia and nitrites and pH minimum -nitrates too really- and adapt your water changing schedule to those resultswhich we cannot advise you on because they are individual to each set up depending on how overstocked you are and how much you feed, amongst other things.

It isn't something you can guess, but I will tell you one thing - test kits are far cheaper in the long run than the medications we need if we do not test the water. And medication will not work in an uncycled or cycle bumping tank.

Your fish may have just about managed in a 30 gallon as babies but as they grow goldies need much more space and produce much more waste. Keeping so many fish in the tank is only done by top professionals in the fishkeeeping business for years because they check the water daily, have several hugely powerful filtration systems set up and masses of aeration going. The waste is impossible to control with the small filter that comes with the tank you have and the dangers are very hard to monitor without test kits guiding you just how much water needs to be changed out each time. It isnt a random thing.

So here's what you can do. Read up on how to cycle below. Never throw the filter media, however gunky, merely rinse it off always in old tank water. In that media is where your good bacteria are living. Those good bacters' health plays a major part in the secret to healthy fish.Chlorine will kill your good bacteria dead and you will be back at "start" re cycling. Its good you took out the gravel although that too may have affected your cycle. Give your fish another temp and pH matched water change now- 70% - and then 50% water change every day until you can get some test kits and post back with answers to the Qs in the box.

I also recommend you try feeding your fish some vitamin C type foods (boiled, mushed peas, orange, brocolli etc) a variety of food keeps the fishes immunity strong and this is crucial to fight off infection. Flake foods quickly get damp and any nutritional value is lost. All food should really be changed 6 months after opening.

Hi cheetah and welcome!

In addition to Trinkets advice, if you could get a large Rubbermaid or similar container to house some of the fish, that would be sufficient until you get either a larger tank or another one to split the fish up. But you will need a filter and aeration for this the same as a tank.

As Trinket pointed out, well-meaning medications can turn out to do more harm than good...I did the same thing myself when I came here...when 98% of the time when you get them into larger living quarters and pristine water that is half the battle. You did well getting rid of the gravel, as that can harbor nasty bacteria and parasites in an overstocked tank.

Please get your testing kit and/or water tested and post back so they can help you get your fish on the road to recovery. Its a bit of work, but well worth it to see your pets healthy and happy! :)

Archived