Bragging On My Son

nickie73

I have to say that I am SO PROUD of Gage! I, of course, am always proud of him, but he really tried on this report card. Last nine weeks, Gage got his first "C" ever in Social Studies. It was actually a very LOW 70! Almost an "F". He was very upset about it. He got his report card for the second 9 weeks yesterday and this was the comparison:

Social Studies: Last 9 weeks: 70. This 9 weeks: 87

Math: Last 9 weeks: 82 This 9 weeks: 95

Science: Last 9 weeks: 92 This 9 weeks: 92

Spelling: Last 9 weeks: 95 This 9 weeks: 97

Language Arts: Last 9 weeks: 82 This 9 weeks: 85

Reading: Last 9 weeks: 80 This 9 weeks: 89

He did so well! His grandparents opened him up a savings acct. as part of his X-mas and put 200.00 in there for him. This is his "spending money" acct. as long as he keeps a minimum of 50.00 in there. He can use this money to buy whatever he wants. His grandparents told him that one way he can "earn" money for his acct. is on his report card. They give him 10.00 for every "A", and 5.00 for every "B" he gets. He just earned 45.00 for his acct. on this report card.

Another reason I am so proud of him is the way he is learning to save money. He works very hard to "earn" money for his acct. and he usually only spends some on movies every couple of weeks. He is very proud of his new savings acct. He has his own debit card and everything!

As most of your know, Gage does have autism and Tourettes and has come such a long way in 10 short years. :heart

I do not know anything about your system since I live in Sweden, but I am glad to hear your son is doing well.

My son is doing better too, since he goes to a special school now!

Thanks, Rachel! He was very proud of bringing up his Social Studies grade. He studied very hard for all his tests this past 9 weeks and he wondered if it would pay off. I just kept telling him that as long as he did his best, that was all he could do and we would always be proud of him for that. When he saw how much his grade came up, he was jumping for joy!!!

He doesn't grasp his "everyday" grades at school, but he does understand the report card grades, so he was able to see how trying his best improved his grades!

Yeay! whatever you are doing - keep on doing it!. Sometimes they just blossom, like they go through spurts of intellectual growth. Has his eating habits changed at all in the past couple of months? Has he continued to try new foods? Sometimes diet can have an effect on academic results too.

He is still trying new things to eat. I can't say that he actually LIKED most of them, but he is trying them and that is a huge step for him. He is now eating oranges and baked chicken along with his other favs.

yay Gage :Jig: keep up the great work i don't know how the system works over in the US but i was happy with my grades i got mostly c's yay lol which is kinda bad over here lol

yay Gage :Jig: keep up the great work i don't know how the system works over in the US but i was happy with my grades i got mostly c's yay lol which is kinda bad over here lol

C's are not very good over here, either. They are the lowest score you can get before the failing grade of an "F". However, "C" is passing, so I will definately take that over an "F" any day! Thanks, Dan!!!

That deserves a special treat I think! Maybe a special trip to one of his fav places! Woo Hoo! Go Gage!

I took him to Movie Gallery today and he rented two movies to watch. He LOVES movies, so I took him to get a few as a treat for him. We usually don't rent movies until Friday night (no school the next day), but he got to go today. He is watching them right now and in HEAVEN! LOL!

As most of your know, Gage does have autism and Tourettes and has come such a long way in 10 short years. :heart

Yay Gage!! You are an awesome kid!! :rockon:#1

And Nickie you are one terrific mom. :exactly

Thanks JOH!!! YOU are an awesome friend!!!

Tyrese is the same way with his grades. He works hard to see a good report card. He gets disappointed if he gets a low grade on a classroom assignment..but we tell him all that counts is that he did his best.

It's fun to see them so proud of themselves! We treat Ty the same way...he likes to rent DVD's and videogames.

Gage is the kind that will freak out before a big test and say, "I know I am going to fail it". He will study so hard for it, but the anxiety is always high until the test is over with. We have tried to teach him to calm down and that flunking a test is not the end of the world, if he does. He has always been that way and I think the anxiety is what keeps him from doing his best on tests. However, this year he has been a TAD bit better with the anxiety, so I hope he will continue to do better.

That is fantastic! Go Gage! It's so good to hear that he's doing so well and I can only imagine how proud you are of him. This is a big achievement and I would be bragging too. As long as he tries his hardest it is impossible to fail. You sound like a wonderful mother.

Thanks so much, Monkeybat. You know, kids don't come with instructions, no matter if they are neuro-typical or not. :rofl Even though Gage is "special", I try to treat him like any mother would treat their child. I'm not doing anything that anyone else doesn't try to do for their kids. Just be understanding, helpful, and encourage them to do their best. Heck, that is all we can do!

As a special ed teacher, its great to see a parent so involved and proud of their son. Most of my students unfortunately do not have such a great support system like yourself so this was a nice pick me up for me to read. Thanks! That report card sounds like it needs to go into a picture frame & displayed! Way to go Nickie, you should be just as proud of yourself as you are him!

Thanks, Kat, but I can't take all the credit. Gage has a wonderful resource teacher who is amazing! I am really going to miss her when he has to change schools next year. :cry1 I have SO much respect for the special teachers he has had at his school. You guys are the awesome ones who help us parents mold our children and give them the confidence they need to get thru life. :exactly

Archived