Is It Normal To Have Bottom Sitters?

Trico

Its like they're sleeping, nothings wrong or anything, Sometimes I see them sitting on the bottom "sleeping" but very rarely. Also another question; is a 5 gallon tank overcrowded with 3 mollies?

My Bubbles always sleeps on the bottom. He plonks himself down on the gravel, usually in a corner and goes to sleep. His tankmate Bobble sometimes sleeps on the bottom beside him, other times she sleeps just above the bottom or mid-water. I have another two fish, Jelly who sleeps just below the surface, always in the same corner & Pearl who balances perfectly in the middle of the tank.

I have almost had a coronary when I saw my pink betta laying on the gravel almost on his side sleeping!! :rofl I finally got used to it but he scared me out of 10 years that I can't afford to lose.

And I don't think that 3 mollies will overcrowd a 5 gallon. Tropicals don't produce the waste that goldies do, so you can have a few more in the tank, especially if they're a smaller breed. I'm pretty sure you're ok with that.

Feather sleeps on the bottom all the time. He has his own little "bedroom", a little corner of the tank that is well protected from the current. Firefly usually sleeps about midtank or a little higher on the other side of the tank.

Booger sleeps about 1" off the bottom of the tank and always in the same place, but is really active all day long. He's also a youngster and seems to have neverending energy. Chubby on the other hand, has a wierd sleeping schedule, I turn the light on sometimes in the middle of the night and he'll be out forraging for food. Then, sometimes during the day, he'll take a little nap in his favorite sleeping spot. I might be wrong, but for some reason I'm not too worried about Chubby. If I tap on the glass at him, he gets very excited and happy to see that I'm looking at him.

If he were to "bottom sit" in different locations, maybe I'd worry. But since he always goes to the same location, I feel he is just napping. Plus, he's always in motion when he's perching in his sleeping spot and never touching the gravel.

I have almost had a coronary when I saw my pink betta laying on the gravel almost on his side sleeping!! :rofl I finally got used to it but he scared me out of 10 years that I can't afford to lose.

And I don't think that 3 mollies will overcrowd a 5 gallon. Tropicals don't produce the waste that goldies do, so you can have a few more in the tank, especially if they're a smaller breed. I'm pretty sure you're ok with that.

When I bought my 5 gallon, the salesgirl told me that a handfull of mollies for the tank would be perfect.

Guest Chicklette

In the morning when I turn the lights on all my fish are sleeping and laying on the gravel. One of my fish Mango will sit on the gravel during the day and have a fast cat nap so it?s normal. Most fish do sleep at night.

I have almost had a coronary when I saw my pink betta laying on the gravel almost on his side sleeping!! I finally got used to it but he scared me out of 10 years that I can't afford to lose.

Hahahaha, the same happened to me a few days ago!

As for the mollies, that's fine :D

I've actually had 3 mollies plus a few guppies in a 5 gallon. I had plants and really good filtration, and the fish thrived.

Archived