New Here, Thought I'd Show You My Fish.....

Guest Ethan25

Guest Ethan25

I have had a koi pond for around 5 years now, and now have a 46 gallon bowfront aquarium at my work office. I have purchased two red capped orandas, an all red/orange oranda, and two ryunkin from local petstores (all special ordered). They have been pretty good quality in my own opinion. Any thoughts?

First picture is of entire tank, second is of the 5 inch red capped oranda ($15), third is of the black and red striped ryunkin ($5), fourth is of the calico oranda ($5), and fifth and sixth pictures are of the 7 inch red capped oranda ($30).

Thanks! I am here to learn, as I am new to this hobby! My filtration is a medium sized fluval canister filter, a Penguin 350 Powerwheel, and a 20% waterchange once to twice a week. I also add koi clay once every two weeks.

Ethan

n1952460_40407745_2456.jpg

n1952460_40407926_504.jpg

n1952460_40407879_5976.jpg

n1952460_40408070_5503.jpg

n1952460_40408010_3975.jpg

n1952460_40408007_1530.jpg

Guest Ethan25

Thank you all for your kind comments! I really appreciate them! I really love this hobby. I actually just picked up a nice panda oranda yesterday, but I am waiting to put it in the tank until after quarantine. It is 5". I will see if I can get a picture this week.

Of the two red caps, which is better?

Ethan

Congratulations on all your fish - they look beautiful, and so wonderfully chubby! :heart

As to which redcap is better, the general consensus is in a redcap that the less red on the rest of his body, the better. A redcap should have no other red except on its headgrowth, but its very hard to find such fish. And even if you did, there is no guarantee that it stays that way. I have a redcap that only has red on its cap, but if I look closely, I can see the red spreading ever so slowly to some parts of the head outside its headgrowth.

That said, looks like the redcap in the last picture is the better one. All your fish are pretty though, and have that deep body that I love so much in an oranda.

Guest Ethan25
Congratulations on all your fish - they look beautiful, and so wonderfully chubby! :heart

As to which redcap is better, the general consensus is in a redcap that the less red on the rest of his body, the better. A redcap should have no other red except on its headgrowth, but its very hard to find such fish. And even if you did, there is no guarantee that it stays that way. I have a redcap that only has red on its cap, but if I look closely, I can see the red spreading ever so slowly to some parts of the head outside its headgrowth.

That said, looks like the redcap in the last picture is the better one. All your fish are pretty though, and have that deep body that I love so much in an oranda.

Thanks, Ranchugirl!

Appreciate the insight. Right now, the only red is on the cap, and a bit on the chin. The rest of the body is perfectly clean. How rare is one with nothing anywhere but the cap? I'd love to see a picture of yours if you have a chance! Regarding the other two that I think are ryunkins, is there anyway to know whether they are ryunkin or just fantails? What should I look for with those?!

So a deep body is best?

Sorry about the blue on the last picture....my light casts a neon blue color on the tank. The guy at the petshop talked it up, and ended up giving it to me for free. I guess its a $35 light bulb.....

Ethan

Guest Ethan25
Great fish! And it's great to see that you have them in a nice big tank :heart

Can't wait to see more pics...do they have names?

Yes, the

Large Red Capped Oranda is Mr. Witherspoon

the small red capped oranda is Mr. Edwards

the blue speckled ryunkin is Mr. Whitefield

the red/black striped ryunkin is Mr. Bunyan

my new Orange one is Mr. Beeke,

and the new panda I just got is Mr. Warfield.

Can anyone here guess the pattern of names?

Guest Ethan25

Here's the Orange Oranda ($15) special order from our local petshop. They charge me what they buy for, which is nice. I know the lady who does the ordering! Sorry about the blurry pics again....I am working on figuring how to take sharper pictures.

n1952460_41120174_9937.jpg

n1952460_41120170_9177.jpg

Guest Ethan25
LOVE those bright whites and reds in the redcaps!!!

I do too. If I have a chance, I am going to attempt to breed them together. I am sure the large is a female, and I have a feeling the other is male, since he chases her from time to time.

Archived