White Spot Or New Growth

Guest shineangel

Guest shineangel

Ammonia Level 0

Nitrite Level .03

Nitrate level 0

Ph Level, 7.8

Ph Level out of the Tap

Tank size (How many Gals) and how long has it been running? 30 gals, been running 7 months

What is the name and size of the filter: Tetratec EasyCrystal FilterBox 300 -300l/h

How often do you change the water and how much 30-50% weekly

How many fish in the tank and their size: 2 fish, each roughly 2 1/2 inches

What kind of water additives or conditioners: a water conditioner to remove chlorine

Any medications added to the tank no

Add any new fish to the tank no

What do you feed your fish: flakes, sinking pellets, blood worm and daphnia and peas

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt": yes a white lump on Orandas head

Bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus: no

Any unusual behaviour like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect: no

My red capped Oranda Pearl has a couple white spots on his head, one seems very bright, the other dull and almost skin (orange) coloured.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/shin...el/P1000372.jpg

(I know it seems fuzzy but in real life it?s not fuzzy looking)

He seems fine and fit and is eating and pooping normally and the other fish in the tank has no white spots at all, in fact these spots seemed to appear in a brief few hours as he certainly did not have them this morning.

I have been scouring the forums trying to work out if its ich or a bump or new growth, but as always I end up confused as to what it could be and what im looking for.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as to what it might be.

I don?t want the poor little guy to suffer and get sicker

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi Shineangel - no it is not ich.

The pic is a little blurred but from what I can see it is most likely new wen growth which usually fades after a few days. If you are feeling brave you could swab it with a Q-tip dipped in hydrogen peroxide to disinfect the site. You can lift the fish just above the waterline and wipe the Q tip over the white patch. Do not get any in the eyes or gills. Or just watch carefully over the next few days.

Just one other thing; I notice that after 7 months your tank has 0.30 nitrite and zero nitrate. This usually points to a tank being uncycled or having suffered a crash.

Can you tell us anything to illuminate this issue? Do you have any ammonia blocking agent in the filter like ammo-lock or anything?

Guest shineangel

Hi pixiefish

i have zealite in the filter which gets changed every week along with the water change, the nitrite level is 0.03 not 0.30 :)

im glad to know its not ich, im not really brave but needs must for the little guy so i shall get some hydrogen peroxide and give it a go.

im always afraid of hurting them when i have to do things to them lol

thank you for looking at the pic and giving me advice :thanks

Ah, OK, understood.

It would be a good idea if you read the links under my signature which will give you more information about the tanks nitrogen cycle.

Basically, by using zeolite you will never be able to grow a proper bio-filter and develop a cycle. For this reason we do not recommend zeolite other than for use in a sick tank where a cyled filter is not wanted.

Read the links and please post back with any questions you may have. You can also take a look around the water chemistry section where you'll learn a lot more about 'cycling'

Keep an eye on your fish and let's see how he is in a few days :)

My Orandas get those white areas when getting new wen. I just leave it and it goes after a few days as Pixie says. I dont Q-Tip the area, but that is personal preference, I just keep an eye on the new growth.

Lovely looking fish, and do have a read of the articles as they are interesting and find things you didnt already know, we are all still learning.

Guest shineangel

thank you pixiefish and claireuk

the links seem to be dead links, but i did find them on the site and had a read, im wondering if im doing to big a water change so the tank is not having time to settle, even though the params are pretty much normal .

i have just taken the zeolite out,pity the box it comes in does not say to only use it for a sick tank, it seems to be sold as a great way to keep amonia down!

thank goodness for this site and people like you :)

i shall just keep an eye on him and the water params and see what happens.

i shall post back and give an update :)

thank you claire, yep i think he is a cute litlle fella

i guess it's nice to know he is happy and growing though. especially as he was a tiddler when i got him and despaired of him ever getting his wen :)

OK - so now you have taken the zeolite out you're going to have a bumpy ride until the tank is fully cycled! Yikes - so buckle-up!

This means testing your water every day and being ready to change-out water, whenever ammonia then nitrite climb towards 1ppm. Ammonia and nitrite can rise very quickly and you will need to keep them as close to zero as possible. It is quite a lot of work in the beginning, but once the cycle is complete - any time from 4-8 weeks - things will be much easier.

Try opening a thread in the Water Chemistry section - there are a few people cycling at the moment and you'll be able to share info.

Thanks for the heads up about my links - I'll see to that now.

Archived