I Think I Have A Problem...

Fish_Fanatic

I've had my snail for just over a week now, and on two mornings, he has been stuck to the filter intake tube. Part of his body would be wiggling in the intake tube and he is unable to get off of it. I've had to unplug the filter and rescue him both times........ is there anything i can do to stop this???

What I'd do is put some mesh (a piece of a net or some pantyhose) over the end of the filter. Just make sure you secure it really well.

I think snails are attracted to filters because of the debris that can accumulate at the intake, my snail used to get on mine all the time, but luckily never got sucked in!

• 2 weeks later...
You can also use a sponge.

:exactly That's what I use....fitted over the end of the intake. It also acts as a 'pre-filter'...keeps all that snail snot from clogging up your filter impellar and such. Works like a charm! ;)

I feel like a sponge over the intake keeps the filter from doing it's job efficiently. I redid my intakes! Now the snails can crawl on there & not get sucked in, but the filter is able to pull the water up to clean it! I feel like the filter needs maximum flow going in to clean the tank.

filterintakem.jpg

:lol1 Well.....that's what I call it. :D

Yeah the sponge does get cruddy pretty fast, but I also do a couple water changes eack week on my snail tanks. They are poo factories aren't they!?! Twice a week I do a quick gravel vac, and rinse out that sponge, then every weekend I take the critters out and wipe down the walls, plants etc. and clean it up good. Snail snot everywhere! :blink: But in the bigger tank I have 2 dwarf frogs too, so the sponge also helps protect their little feet.

Jeana that is a nifty contraption on your intake....how did you do that?

That little nifty gadget is actually a bottle from my grandkids Bubbles!! I put one on all three of my AQ110s!! I cleaned them real good then in two my hubby cut slits ( 4 or 5) on each bottle then he drilled a huge hole in the lid that just fits the Aquaclear intake tube! In the third we drilled a bunch of holes. I think I like the slits best!

I have seen the snails (GMs & Ramshorn) crawl right over them with no problem. But still the filters can do their job!!

Archived