Broken Hood ?

Guest bikeboy19

Guest bikeboy19

Hello, I have just started a new 40 gal tall aquarium about 5 days ago in which I had a brand new 36" floresent hood (All glass aquarium brand). It worked fine for 4 days and last night i turned it off at bed time as normal, and in the morning nothing happened, it would not turn on. It is plugged into a surge protector with every thing else (filter,air,heater) and they work fine. I unplugged it and tried other outlets around the house and nothing. So i Took the bulb out and it looks fine, no black inside like it burned out, and as i moved back into place (while it was unplugged) the bulb flashed at me, but still will not work. Just wondering if its common and if any one had any suggestions. Thanks for reading

There is a part called a "starter" in your hood - it is usually a small dimension white round piece that is plugged into the hood on the bottom. This is required to get the flourecent bulb to light. Sometimes the starter becomes loose in its socket - making incomplete contact. When this happens the light may flash and blink but will not light.

Try pushing the starter back into its socket. Some rotate gently in place to hold them. See if that is the problem.

I have had to replace starters over the years in hoods. It is not uncommon for them to go - but it usually takes 5-10 years of use.

Another thing to check...... is your hood placed where it can get damp from evaporation or any other way? A damp hood will not work. Try drying it throughly and see if that helps.....

Archived