Platy Pregnancy

Anic

I have 6 Platys and 4 are female. They all get really fat over time, and then just... thin! Are they really pregnant, or just messing with me? If they are, where are the babies going? There are plants to hide in, rocks and logs to hide near and none of the other fish are larger than them. There are 6 Platys, 3 Guppies and 6 Minnows. I've checked the filter fiber and everything...

Where in the world could they be going? Are the "babies" non-existant??

Hmm I know how you feel, but since theres a lot of fish in their, they probably eat the babies right away. You might want to try to take some more measures to sve your babies before they get eaten :unsure:

If you have enough hiding space then I doubt all will be eaten...gosh my guppies hate eating fry........fry swim around they dont even care, keep yoru eyes open, first most of the time fry will usually hide at the bottom and it's hard to see especially if it's in gravel because of it's tranparent color. and very small so keep your eyes open, sometime by feeding, crush the flakes very small, and then feed it, some will sink to the bottom and sometime fry coem out to eat it. Also what does the female look like as in skinny. Are they eating ok? not spitting out the food or anything?

Skinny like the way the males are normally. All the fish, except for my Betta, get fed twice a day. Betta only gets fed once because he won't eat any food the second time around.

It might be even harder to see them if they hide because my gravel is brown...

~~~

I'm gonna have to find more things for them to hide in because I'd love babies in the tank...

I also need to figure out why my Guppies aren't procreating... Two girls and he isn't interested in either one.

Does anyone know about how long the gestation period is for platys? Just a rough idea?

These are pics of my "chunkiest" platy. My only orange one:

100_1654.jpg

100_1657.jpg

100_1656.jpg

The tank she lives in:

100_1664.jpg

Should I take some of the bigger plants from my male Betta's tank and put them near the log (on the left)? To make a better place for babies to hide?

100_1665.jpg (<-- Betta's tank) The pink plant is fake, btw.

Well she definitely looks pregnant. I have plattys and mollies. I think the plattys gestation is 90 days, about 3 months. The mollies are about 1 month. I may have gotten that backwards.

I would definitely add more plants to the tank with the platty for the babies to hide in. Plants with fine leaves or bunches of leaves are good as they give small places the fry can get into that the parents can't. Also if you have a corner of the tank the furthest away from the filter/ air bubbler that you can heavily plant you may find that it forms a natural area for the fry to hang out in. Also if the plants reach all the way to the top the babies can hide even if they don't have the common sence to go towards the bottom of the tank.

Hope this helps.

I thought platys were every month? They are live bearers, I think 90 days seems a bit long. I think thats the length of time its takes for them to become fertile from baby to Adult.

Archived