Cleaning A Rena Xp3

grain

OK, how do you clean the hoses for the Rena XP filters? I can't very well just disconnect them, as they are on the pipes very very tightly, and sealed on with those clamp things. Even if I take those clamps off, there's no way I'm going to be able to take the hoses themselves off of the tubes (intake & outlet tubes).

:hmm

Yeah, i haven't had mine all that long either, so i was suprised to see them turning brown already!

I think I read somewhere that you should do a regular clean of the filter at least every 2 weeks, and a thorough clean like the one mentioned above every few months. (i could be wrong though about that)

I think yours is only a few weeks older than mine. I never even thought to look back there. I alternate doing a good cleaning on the three filters on my tank every week. So mine gets cleaned out every 3rd week. The filter pads on the HOBS get shook out every week. Sure the brown stuff isn't just BB?

It is, yes - it isn't as strong and thorough right away, it is more of a slow cleaner. CLeaning in the way as to slowly eating up the brown gunk that accumulates in the hoses. I usually fill the hoses up with some PP/water mix, so the water is really dark purple, fill the hoses with that, and have the hose sit so that both ends are higher up. That way there is no running out of the PP mix. Then I just let it sit overnight, at least when I clean my python.

My hubby has those really long thin pipe cleaners that he uses for plumbing sometimes, and one of those (new of course, never used on any other pipes :D ) are very handy as well to get into those long hoses, for those rather stubborn spots.

Archived