Tetra Oxygen Test - A Review

So I mentioned a week or so ago that I had ordered an oxygen test and I would comment on it once I received it. Well, I received it today and ran it a couple times. The procedure is straight forward enough, but it has one fatal flaw, which I think I've captured nicely in the picture below. I apologize for the lack of clarity, I just used my phone camera, and I probably held it too close.

Frankly, I think the pictures do the scale a favor, its even harder to real in person. You can see my results from two different parts of the tank. I think the results are in the middle, but its very hard to tell.

While an interesting idea, I cannot recommend this test - I don't have any confidence in reading the results. After these results I did a little looking, and I found the Red Sea oxygen test:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...oxygen&Np=1

The description for this one claims its a 'drop by drop' style test, where the color eventually changes from green-brown to blue. If anyone is looking for one of these and wants to give that one a shot, I'd be interested to hear the results :)

post-14384-1199839647_thumb.jpg

Interesting. What about if you stand the vial and hold it a little way from the colorcode chart. Does the result color look different then?

I use the Tetra test kits for everything but haven't tried this one.

Interesting. What about if you stand the vial and hold it a little way from the colorcode chart. Does the result color look different then?

I always hold my vials up against the white background of the charts in a very well lit area.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the pic...lying down is not a good way to read those. Although, the sliding pink scale does not look very particular, and in the case of O2, you want to know for sure.

Hey, sorry, forgot to check down here.

Yes, I did not read it with the tubes laying down. That's simply the way I took the picture. I think its even worse holding it up. Depending on the quality and brightness of the light, whether I hold right against the card or a bit away from it (although Tetra says to do the former), the answer seems to be different. And, in fact, at no point am I 100% sure about the answer. Are we looking for the darkness of the pink? Or the 'quality' of it (meaning, is it redish or not)? I dunno.

The picture is taken with a phone camera while lying down, so its not the greatest picture, but, trust me, its very hard to read with any confidence. I feel the picture actually does it a favor.

A similarly-fish-keeping coworker is placing an online order for some supplies, so I'm going to have him order the red sea oxygen test for me so I don't have to pay a full slate of shipping for one test. Its a drop-at-a-time (KH/GH style) test, so I'm hoping it should be easier to see a distinct color change (from brown-green to blue) than a shade of pink.

Archived