Guest ice-520

Guest ice-520

• Test Results for the Following:
    Ammonia Level? 0
    Nitrite Level? 0
    Nitrate level? 5 ppm
    Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 6.8
    Ph Level out of the Tap? 6.8

• Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 55gallon running for a week

• What is the name and size of the filter/s? 2X Emporer 400 + 1X Elite Stingray 10

• How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, 30%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fish, aboud 1 inch each

<li>What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, Nutrafin Cycle

<li>Any medications added to the tank? No

<li>Add any new fish to the tank? 1 new fish added yesterday

<li>What do you feed your fish? Hikari LionHeads

<li>Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Blood streaks on the tail fin that appeared today

<li>Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? eratic swimming and hiding behind fake plants and filters

I am very concerened other fish in the tank are fine

Hello ice-520 and sorry to hear your fish isn't well. I'm sure a mod or helper will be along here soon to advise you. The main thing I noticed in your posting was that your tank has only been set up for a week and you are doing weekly water changes. If your tank hasn't cycled, and it can't cycle in one week, then you would need to be doing DAILY water changes. It is very unusual to be only doing weekly water changes in an uncycled tank with 4 fish and have an ammonia reading of 0.

But as I said, I'm sure someone will be here soon to help you figure out whats going on, and good luck! :goodluck

Guest ice-520

i am not sure if i should still do daily water change since there is no ammonia and there is already Nitrate (assuming due to one filter that was already established before)

When you get a new fish, you should always QT it for a few weeks and treat for parasites, etc. Your fish may have something wrong with it, or it may just be scared of it's new surroundings and needs time to adjust. Just keep a close eye on it and if anything else happens, let us know. Keep checking your water params at least twice daily. Good luck to you!!!

I noticed your pH is at 6.8 which is pretty low as Goldfish prefer more alkaline conditions. You may wish to consider using coral gravel as a substrate to act as a buffer and so increase your pH.

I noted you say your fish has blood streaks in its tail do the fins appear to have white edges if so you have early signs of fin rot.

What color is your fishs poop if its white then your fish will have a bacterial infection which is best treated with medi-gold.

Also its very important to isolate the sick fish during treatment to ensure other fish are not affected.

Is it the new fish which is acting strangely, or one of the others? How is it today?

Regarding the PH, anything from 7.2 upwards is good. The important thing is that the PH is maintained in a stable way. Allowing it to drop will really harm the fish, so by adding crushed coral as Blue suggested, you will gradually raise the PH and the buffer (this is the alkaline content which holds the PH steady)

The fish could be affected by either too acid a PH or it may have parasites.

Any extra info you can provide will help.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived