Your Local Tap Water

Trico

I don't really have any problems with mine, as its pretty much glacial run-off(Best water in the world :D ) and also, since theres fresh snow it would make sense to collect some for water changes etc? I mean it is free of impurities and such right?

Well here in Florida out of the tap, our Ph is at least 9! My test kit only goes to 8.8 and it was pegged. Our local utility company adds calcium carbonate to raise Ph in order to control heavy metal leaching of older pipes. My house water softener brings Ph down to between 8 and 8.2, makes the Kh a 7 but with a Gh of only 1. The tank water is really crystal clear and the tank and filters are free of any hard water stains as a nice side effect. The only thing I have to worry about is the heavy metal leaching from my old copper pipes because I am un-doing what the water company set out to do. A generous dose of AquaSafe seems to do the trick.

water changes constantly my tap water went from 1ppm ammonia to .50ppm ammonia and now it has dropped to .25ppm ammonia ph also changes our house is really messed up lol one tap has a ph of 7.5 the one in the laundry has a ph of 6.0 so perfect for amazonia fish

I think our water has become better in the past year or so, it's still really hard but the pH is lower (was around 7.5-8, now around 7). Our water is treated with chloramines, but thats generally not a problem unless you don't know about it and decide your water has lots of ammonia out of the tap :P

I'm just worried about whats to come with the d-am being at 16%, whats going to happen when we have to drink the dregs of the d-am! Or are we already drinking the dregs....

Guest eric2601

Chicago pH changes daily. As well - they stopped the use of chlorine and have now started to use ammonia - The quality - in genberal - is awlful

In Scotland we have soft water so pH is always low so I have to use coral gravel as a buffer to get the pH up to a level suitable for goldfish.

My kH is so low it doesn't even register with my test kit, and the pH is around 6.5. I've had to use buffers for the last few months, it's a real pain!

theres fresh snow it would make sense to collect some for water changes etc?

I wouldn't use snow, it's not necessarily 'pure'. Glacier ice is much older than fresh snow and is free of pollutants. :)

snow is pretty much rain which is frozen so the snow you see is evaporated from the oceans etc glaciers are alot older the water is absolutely pure as there were no chemicals when the water froze

I think our water has become better in the past year or so, it's still really hard but the pH is lower (was around 7.5-8, now around 7). Our water is treated with chloramines, but thats generally not a problem unless you don't know about it and decide your water has lots of ammonia out of the tap :P

Svendenhowser, what do you mean about the chloramines versus the ammonia? When I test my tap water I get ammonia of 1. We add prime & leave it out for a few days. Yeah the water levels in Bris are a worry, especially after all the rain we just had and it hasn't helped much.

Dan, that blue oranda is beautiful! Looks a bit like one of my fish.

snow is pretty much rain which is frozen so the snow you see is evaporated from the oceans etc glaciers are alot older the water is absolutely pure as there were no chemicals when the water froze

Rain water acccumulates pollutants in the atmosphere (sad but true). When I did field work in Alaska we had to use sulfur tables when we drank rain water to purify it. Stream water, groundwater gets filtered by soild and plants, but I wouldn't drink or use rain/snow water for my goldies :idont

My KH/GH is also so low that it doesn't register and my PH out of the tap is 7.2, but drops to 6.8-6.9 in the tank. I, too, am going to have to get buffers to get my PH, KH, and GH up. However, I DO have a pond outside with perfect water params!!!!! LOL!

My KH/GH is also so low that it doesn't register and my PH out of the tap is 7.2, but drops to 6.8-6.9 in the tank.

Wow, you my dear have the perfect soft water! Your dishes and laundry must come perfectly clean and your hair must come out wonderful after a shampoo. A lot of people spend hundreds of dollars on water softener to achieve your water params......

of course none of this helps with your cycling issues..... :rofl

Svendenhowser, what do you mean about the chloramines versus the ammonia? When I test my tap water I get ammonia of 1. We add prime & leave it out for a few days. Yeah the water levels in Bris are a worry, especially after all the rain we just had and it hasn't helped much.

Dan, that blue oranda is beautiful! Looks a bit like one of my fish.

Hey Katrina :hi

Well chloramine is NH2Cl, so it's prepared with ammonia and hypochlorous acid. Thats why straight out of the tap your general home aquarium water ammonia test will show up ammonia out of the tap, but once you've treated it, it will be gone. If you still have ammonia after you've treated it, then it's probably not caused by the chloramine.

I hope the government actually goes ahead with recycled water, otherwise we're up that funny smelling creek without a paddle (or water :P )

I'm pretty happy with our tapwater. I recently got a high pH test and found out that our pH is really just over 7.8 . Before all I knew is it registered at 7.4 - the top of our low pH scale. The only thing I don't really like is our kH is a bit low - 5 degrees, or somewhere around 80 to 90 ppm. Tank water is often a degree lower. That's not awful, and its liveable with a bit of buffering conditioner with water changes, but if I have my druthers, I'd add about 50 points to it too.

I don't really have any problems with mine, as its pretty much glacial run-off(Best water in the world :D ) and also, since theres fresh snow it would make sense to collect some for water changes etc? I mean it is free of impurities and such right?

No. Don't use snow, Trico. First it isn't necessarily pure at all and secondly, like rain water, it will lack the mineral content necessary for Gfish to thrive.

Just use the water out of your tap.

As an experiment, you could collect some snow and when it has melted test it for PH, KH and GH. The results are likely to be quite low for all. Compare those results to the tap.

Thanks Svendenhowser. Our water must be high in ammonia then as if I just put the recommended dose of water conditioner in my ammonia only goes down to 0.5, so I usually have to do a second treatment.

Dan, I have a fish called Pearl too but she is not the one that looks your Pearl. My fish that looks like Pearl is called Bobble and parts of her have turned white too.

I thought there were some problems because my tests show nitrites and very low pH (from tap water). So I called today and they said: No, there must be something wrong with your tests.....................

Archived