Ranchu/lionhead Needs Special Care?

alanworm

I do not think I would classify them as such. Each fish breed has a bit different needs - but not much different. Far more importantly - each fish can have slightly different needs. So much depends on their actual physical design. Some tend to tip forwards or backwards. Some, having been exposed to high levels of ammonia or nitrite when younger are very sensitive to nitrates. Others, with EXTREMELY deep bodies - need fasting or heavy green food to prevent constipation.

Ranchu/Lionhead typically are said to be "shallow water" fish - 24 inches or less. But that is DEEP for a tank. They do fine in deeper water, but the body tends to elongate - something not deemed good for the breed. They can be MASSIVE fish - even without great length. They require big water because of this sheer body mass. A 6 inch Ranchu can be the equivilant of a 10-12 comet in body mass.

Other than a few cares such as mentioned above, most Ranchu/Lionhead are powerful, delightful fish that require no more than the usual care needed by the average goldfish.

:)

because they look so powerful and big that is one of the reason i would like to have them ... right now i have 2 1" lionheads living in the tank and they are adorable !! the way they swim is alot prettier (i duno if that is the word) than an oranda or other fishes that has a dorsal fin... the way they wiggle their tails are so funny ! ..

Sorry to interrupt but I just wanted to say that your black oranda is absolutely gorgeous, Alan! Its wen is very striking.

lol yeah i think so too i like picking out special colored fancy goldfish... i love her .. but now the black is starting to intrude the orange wen lol ! its all good ... ~~

Well, see that as a plus, Alan - in your case, the black is coming back. Most other fish lose it over time. And if you don't watch it, Laurie might just come over and snatch your lemonhead... :D