Darn Nitrates!

The Nitrates are rising in the show tank again. I think it's because the baby Oranda isn't such a baby anymore.... He's really grown and threatens to outgrow the other two fancy tails very soon.

Anyway, the nitrates are creeping up. They were 10 ppm when I tested today, after a water change two days ago. Ugh. I did another 50% water change today and will keep an eye on it, but what can be done???

I really want to keep these three fish in the 37 gallon show tank. I guess I could install a different filter. Right now I have an Eclipse top on the tank. I could get glass, a separate light and a BIG Marineland Biofilter with two biowheels and try that. OR, I could supplement the filtration on the existing Eclipse with a canister filter. There's a little punchout area of the Eclipse top that I could cut for the intake and outflow pipes to an external canister filter....

I've been triple dosing with PRIME with each water change to keep the toxicity of the nitrates down, but I'd like to eliminate the problem, not treat it.... Any ideas on what I should do????

The other filters wouldn't help with the nitrates.

Purigen can remove them, and can be recharged.

Setting up a trickle tower doesn't seen practical with your set-up.

More fast-growing plants? They'll at least bind up the nitrogen and keep it out of the water.

• Admin

well nitrates will always be there. Its the end of the cycle waste product, the only way to get them to lower is a water change. they are only harmful when above the 40ppm mark :D

I guess I'll have to be diligent about twice or three-times-a-week water changes then..... UGH. My fault for putting three fish in there I guess. I can only see the problem getting worse as they grow. I see a move to a bigger tank down in the fish room ( or a pond in the garden) in their future!

Thanks all.