Do Goldfish Get Lonely?

dlinks

before i know about this website, i brought a 10g tank. and now I just realize that it's only good for one goldfish.

and I wasn't sure if keeping just one fish in the tank is a good idea.

cuz for me, i would be very lonely >_<. but i dont know about goldfish..what can i get for him??

and i really have no space for 20g or more.

Yes - and no. Goldfish normally can be found in groups in ponds. But that is because they breed and create babies and that makes up the population. Goldfish happily coexist with each other, regardless of sex. They also easily coexist with other species of fish. They are gentle - onmiverous - but gentle.

When you have multiple fish in a tank they do interact - even when not breeding. Sometimes it is more an "annoyance factor" though - a large fish likes to sit and contemplate his navel while he digests and a little pupsqueek swimms by and nudges him until he moves. Sometimes it is obvious that they are swimming and more or less enjoying each other's company.

If you have a single fish in a tank he will not be as active as several fish will be. But he can be fine and happy and thrive and live a long, happy life. 10 gallons is a little tank - so you will have to make sure that you keep it pristine. I would suggest taking out all the extraneous things in the tank - gravel bases use up a lot of space that could be used with water. Adding in a few plants and a nice rock or two, though, will go a long way to making the fish's environment pleasing to both you and him. Give him a plant to anchor himself in when he is sleeping. Give him a bubble bar or stone so he can play in the bubbles. Feed him different foods - mix them up. Fresh vegetables, gel food, fruits, pellets, flakes, etc. Protein, greens, etc. are all great and by giving him something to learn and do, he should be happy.

Fish enjoy shredding a lettuce leaf or playing hockey with a piece of gel food. They are happy little guys if their basic needs are met. So you CAN keep just one - and do it well - as long as you provid a healthy environment.

:)

They like to sit in plants. In a bare bottom tank, I have a few larger stones and they play hockey with those (actually rooting for food - but they seem to take perverse pleasure in making as much noise as possible with them). They like to shred plants and drag pieces around the tank.....

:)

Guest eric2601

Well Daryl - be pleased they are not pushing 1/2 inch pebbles across the glass bottom at midnoght - oh and lonliness is a factor in which ones you place together as well....

accidential;ly inducing the spawning activity will leave you with a female that starts pumping out the eggs - but no one had everthought of including a turn off spicket to the egg generation process - so if you do - just be wary of mixingthe sexes - unless you like your tanks looking like a turnned upside down snow globe once a month!!!

Archived