Aggressive Frog Behaviour?

Shamu23

My female african dwarf frog is the more dominant one in the tank and gets more food so she is really fat, the other one is normal I think. The problem is that at feeding time if the male gets a piece of food the female with hit him in the stomach until he spits it out and if he tries to get away she grabs his foot in her mouth. Why is she doing this, is there anything I can do about it? I think that the male still gets enough food but I think the female gets a bit too much, she's more than twice as fat, I could try to get a pic, u'd b surprised at the big difference.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only kept single frogs but I would be a little worried. If she continues to grow like that (and feamales are larger anyway, so odds are she will) she may really hurt him. Any way you could sepearte them, at least during feeding time? Maybe put him in a breeding basket or something?

I have a breeding trap (a small plastic one and a bigger net one), u think I shoud put him in there at feeding time? I just dont wanna hurt him when catching him cause he's rather shy,r there any alternatives to nets for the frogs for catching them?? Poor thing really freaked out yesterday when she grabbed his foot. This only happens at feeding time usually.

the tank is 5 gallons. It doesnt matter where I feed them, the female is like a bulldozer, once she goes through nothing can stand in her way and she gets food everywhere, the male often is too scared to eat the food when she's nearby. I have hiding spaces for them, thats where he spends alot of time in the evening around feeding time and comes out only if he cant see the female.

they dont need much space, 5 gallons is plenty for them, I did lots of research before getting them. I just saw this the first time yesterday but the female has always been more dominant.

you could make one

Go the craft section of wallyworld. They have these *cheap* sheets of plastic mesh. I think they're for weaving on?? :unsure:

They make perfect dividers, you can trim them to fit your tank. I have a 5 gal with my snail in it, but if I ever need to move a fish in there I just pop the divider in so the two aren't together. It doesn't even look that bad.

I'll ask my mom if we can go to wallyworld soon, poor froggy isnt getting that much to eat ever since this started and the other frog just keeps getting fatter and fatter and FATTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry about him not eating for a bit, they can go a long time. I have an OLD clawed frog and he will only eat if I drop the food in his little hands (I think he's blind), so if he's not at the surface of the tank I can't feed him. It means he only eats every other day, but he's still plenty fat :heart

Keep us posted on your little ones!

we might go there this saturday if the weather is good :) . Poor little guy hides every time the female comes into sight, she's got control over the poor thing. He keeps looking at me with his sad little eyes like he's saying "get her away from me before she eats me!!!!!" lol. I dont know why she's doing this all of a sudden, they used to get along great, what might b the reason for this?

My female african dwarf frog is the more dominant one in the tank and gets more food so she is really fat, the other one is normal I think. The problem is that at feeding time if the male gets a piece of food the female with hit him in the stomach until he spits it out and if he tries to get away she grabs his foot in her mouth. Why is she doing this, is there anything I can do about it? I think that the male still gets enough food but I think the female gets a bit too much, she's more than twice as fat, I could try to get a pic, u'd b surprised at the big difference.

Sounds like a Bridezilla! :blink:

I dont want my male to get hurt

For sure, sounds like a divider is still your best bet. One thing I remembered, again about clawed frogs, is that females prefer to eat their food from the surface and males off the bottom. I don't know if you could try to feed two different types of food (sinking/floating) and see if that would help?

Archived