Another Discovery About My Water Params

nickie73

Today, I tested the ph in the tank, I changed the water yesterday, so this was before another wc. The ph was 6.8 in the tank. I then tested the ph out of the tap and it was 7.2. Therefore, my ph is dropping over a period of time in the tank after a wc. I guess that is another indicator that I need a buffer to keep the ph, KH/GH up, huh?

Now, I need to know, do I need to use crushed coral or what type of buffers? If so, how much? Also, as far as media for my filters, will bio-stars be okay, or do I need something else? Right now, the bio-pad is the only thing in there, no other filters pads, floss, etc. Can I just add some bio-stars straight into the filter, or do I need to put them in a bag first?

The only things I have in the tank right now are a scattering of river stones and a silk plant. I have two filters, a Whisper 10-30 and an Aqua-tech 20-40. Should I get just one filter that has 300gph to use these save these two filters for something else? The problem I have with these filters is that there is not much room in them to add bio-stars or anything else.

Please let me know what you think, guys, so I know what I need to order on-line and how much it is gonna costs. Thanks!!!!

The problem I have with these filters is that there is not much room in them to add bio-stars or anything else.

Please let me know what you think, guys, so I know what I need to order on-line and how much it is gonna costs. Thanks!!!!

That's definately an issue. I love the Emperor Bio Wheel filters becuz of all the room they offer for bio media and filter floss pads. You don't want to put media directly into your filter without putting it into a media bag first.

Try to find something with a large space for lots of media....since that is really the basis for your cycle establishment.

The only thing that works for me for KH stabilizing is Seachem's Alkalinity Buffer. You can try all the natural stuff, including the Florida Crushed Coral, which I think is prolly the best thing to use in a hurry, and most economical since you don't have to keep replacing it. Word of warning though...that stuff comes in a bag chock full of dust!! You'll have to rinse/rinse/rinse to get it all off the coral. It took me hours to do that when I put it into my 55. But it worked like a charm!!

In that case, you can make your entire substrate from pieces of broken coral. Crushed coral can be very fine which makes it easier to include in a filter bag(when there's space) but harder to vac as a substrate. Depends on the grade. You need to choose.

So my advice would be to start googling where it can be bought and for how much. Every state and country has different suppliers, so it's the type of info you'll need to research for yourself. There are of course well known aquatic suppliers who will ship, like Big Al's Online, Rocky Mountain Pond, and GFC - just to name a few off the top of my head. (I don't actually know if they carry crushed coral but you can ask them for recommendations, if not)

The thing to understand in all of this is as follows: ammonia is alkaline; but once it has been converted through nitrite into nitrate it's journey ends in acidity (nitric acid). Therefore if there is no carbonate or bi-carbonate (alkaline) content to your water that can be used up in this exchange, there is NOTHING to keep your PH from slipping downwards.

In addition, the beneficial bacteria prefer a more alkaline environment to grow, so you won't get a colony without upping the KH/GH.

In that case, you can make your entire substrate from pieces of broken coral. Crushed coral can be very fine which makes it easier to include in a filter bag(when there's space) but harder to vac as a substrate. Depends on the grade. You need to choose.

So my advice would be to start googling where it can be bought and for how much. Every state and country has different suppliers, so it's the type of info you'll need to research for yourself. There are of course well known aquatic suppliers who will ship, like Big Al's Online, Rocky Mountain Pond, and GFC - just to name a few off the top of my head. (I don't actually know if they carry crushed coral but you can ask them for recommendations, if not)

The thing to understand in all of this is as follows: ammonia is alkaline; but once it has been converted through nitrite into nitrate it's journey ends in acidity (nitric acid). Therefore if there is no carbonate or bi-carbonate (alkaline) content to your water that can be used up in this exchange, there is NOTHING to keep your PH from slipping downwards.

In addition, the beneficial bacteria prefer a more alkaline environment to grow, so you won't get a colony without upping the KH/GH.

I was hoping to be able to buy something that I can keep on the floor of the tank, something bigger and sturdy that would hold up to syphoning the tank during wcs. I really don't have much room in either of my filters for anything other than a few bio-stars. I guess I need to look for some big pieces of coral to use???

They don't have to huge, just small pieces - rather than the crushed type which looks like coarse sand. Small pieces with give you more surface area and should be around the size of shells or small river stones.

They don't have to huge, just small pieces - rather than the crushed type which looks like coarse sand. Small pieces with give you more surface area and should be around the size of shells or small river stones.

I have been talking with KoKo and I have decided to put the crushed coral in some pantyhose and then put them in the bottom of the tank. Do you think this would work okay? Also, as far as my bio-stars go, is it okay to add them directly to the filter, or do they have to be put in some type of bag first? They fit better without a bag.

Sure it will work OK - just like Koko says. It doesn't really matter where in the tank the coral goes - it just won't look that great having a bunch of pantyhose sitting around the tank floor!

Filter media can be crammed in wherever there's space and doesn't have to be in a bag.

This can't be bought in the states anymore. It's against the law. But some LFS's will carry pieces...but they are expensive! I've seen them for a few dollars for a couple inches long piece. It's not economical at all.

I am getting some from Drfosterssmith, or whatever it is called. It is a 40lb bag for 29.00 plus 10.00 shipping.

I have also decided to go ahead and get another filter, too, one that will hold the crushed coral. I am going to use it along one of my other filters. Any suggestions on this?

I am getting some from Drfosterssmith, or whatever it is called. It is a 40lb bag for 29.00 plus 10.00 shipping.

That's the crushed coral...not coral peices.

Good luck Nickie! Although, I don't think you're gonna need it now. You're gonna have exactly what you need very soon! I'm so happy for you. :yeah:

Archived