Help! My Goldfish Seems To Be In Trouble

Guest baker_345

Guest baker_345

Hi Guys and Girls,

I am fairly new to the gold fish scene. This is definatly the first time i have had a problem. my pearlscale gold fish (Harry) has extreemly increased in size in the last few days and he hasnt eaten the past two nights. i read up on gold fish diseases and thought may be it is constipation??? i tried to feed him mushed peas but he wouldnt eat them and the other fish did. i tried to hand feed him and still nothing. any suggestions??? he is still swiming ok?

Looking forward to your reply,

Thanks

Hi there! Would you mind answering as many of these Qs as you can so we can get an idea of your set up to help better. These are the Qs in the box above but Im pasting them for you here:

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level out of the Tap?

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

What is the name and size of the filter/s?

How often do you change the water and how much?

How many fish in the tank and their size?

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Any medications added to the tank?

Add any new fish to the tank?

What do you feed your fish?

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? my pearlscale gold fish (Harry) has extreemly increased in size in the last few days and he hasnt eaten the past two night

Guest baker_345

Thanks for helping. as i say i am new to this and only know what the person at the aquarium has told me. I have tried to answer all of the questions but as for Ammonia And Nitrate levels i didnt know i had to check that and havnt got a clue how. i told the guy at the aquarium that i was new to this and asked him what i would need and he took me around the store but didnt give me or mention anything for these ones.

Any help if possible greatly apreciated.

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? I dont know

Nitrite Level? No Idea

Nitrate level? No Idea

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? Neutral

Ph Level out of the Tap? NA

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 25 Litres

What is the name and size of the filter/s? My Tank is an Aqua Vital which included the filter, the modelNo on it is 300 and the brand of replacement carbon cartridges are Aqua 1

How often do you change the water and how much? I normaly do a half change evry two weeks and then a complete water change.

How many fish in the tank and their size? i have two pearlscales (Sally) seams fine and has remained almost the same size as when i got her

What kind of water additives or conditioners? The conditioner i use is Aquasonic Natural Homw Water Conditioner. The only other thing i add to the water is the Liquid Fertilizer. the brand seams to be JBL PROFLORA.

Any medications added to the tank? No

Add any new fish to the tank? NO

What do you feed your fish? I feed my fish Gold fish Flakes and the brand is Aqua Vital once a day.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", nothing

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? nothing

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Only not eating and i havnt seen any poops from him. he is still swiming around but not quite as fast as Sally.

Okay so there's the answer :)

If you click on the link in my sig that mentions how to cycle you can read up later about what is going on with your little pearl. Its the most common illness of all goldfish and its called new tank syndrome. In red because it is highly dangerous. Very briefly, when you set up any tank you are setting up a mini eco system that establishes itself over a period of 6 weeks to 2 or 3 months. During this time you must do daily or second daily half tank water changes. Yes it shard work.....but after that system is established, it is not hard work at all. It is agreat pleasure and sparkly crystal water and happy fish will be yours.

Right now, your water is chock full of ammonia you cannot see, possibly nitrites you cannot see and you need to get these out ASAP. Both are toxic.

Please do an immediate temperature matched (match approximately -with your finger is ok) water change of 100% and let's take it from there. Remove the fish gently using a small clean plastic bowl not a net and refill the tank.

There are a few other things you can do & we'll need to talk you through after that but this is urgent so it should be done soon. Please post back when done :) I'll be here another few hours...

Guest baker_345

OK I have done evrything you said. Just a quick question, why should i use a plastic bowl instead of a net, does the net harm the fish?

what do you think i should do next?

i really apreciate your help. Thnks :)

Guest baker_345

Thay seem to be swiming as normal but Harry is still quite bloated. I have gone to a different aquarium and got myself an Ammonia testing kit. i had a chat with the owner their and he was very helpful he thinks it must have been casused from not changing the water continuesly enough to start the cycle. (I hope that made sence)

I have also had a look at your cycle instructions and i will follow them from now. i really appreciate your helpful guide. if you have any other hints or think i need to do something else please let me know.

Thanks HEaps :)

You sound to be on the right path for the fish to heal up. At some point you may want to upgrade your tank size as it is way small for 2 fish and >larger tank = more water= toxins are better diluted= easier fish care. Meanwhile focus on the cycle and feeding a variety of foods to build the fishes natural immunity. Try one or two boiled shelled peas chopped a little - they love those and they have vit C in.

Don't slip up on the daily/second daily partial w/cs till the cycle is complete and then once a week minimum.

Try not to use a net as the fish can get caught/stuck so easily and it is always stressfull for fish to have no water around their bodies even for ashort time: JMO.

Good luck and be sure to ask if you have any more eprobs/Qs :D

Archived