Gravel And Bacteria Colonies

Goldfish22

ok well i purchased a 20 gallon fish tank for my 1 goldfish. I have been keeping him in a 10 gallon for a couple years now, and now i want to move him into the 20 gallon because he has grew pretty big. my question is should i put my old gravel into the new 20 gallon tank along with some new gravel? will that help keep my "good" bacteria colonies and speed up the nitrogen cycle? could i put my goldy in sooner? :blink:

thanks!

As far as I know placing old gravel in a new tank, should help speed up the formation of BB, which in return should cycle the tank quicker. You should wait for others to put their advice in, since I am still new and still learning.

If you do use the old gravel, only take the top layer and don't get too far down as that is where bad bacteria can hide. Good BB's only live on the top layer anyway. I would take some and put it in a pantyhose and tie it up and sit it in the tank to seed it, then use river rocks instead of gravel as it is much healthier. If you do want gravel, only put enough in the cover the bottom, as bad bacteria do hide in gravel and it is harder to clean. Can't wait to see pics!!! :exactly

thanks for comments guys! so if i do add some of my old gravel in with my new mini river rocks:) will i have good bacteria and therefore beable to add my goldfish in his new home sooner?

thanks for comments guys! so if i do add some of my old gravel in with my new mini river rocks:) will i have good bacteria and therefore beable to add my goldfish in his new home sooner?

It could help the tank to cycle faster. If I were you, I would do a fishless cycle and that way there will be less stress on the fish.

Archived