Finrot And Medication Questions I Need Help!

Goldfish22

hi, well my goldfish has finrot and i have been medicating him on Jungle Labs fungus clear for a while now and it doesnt seem to be working so i went out and bought Maracyn 2. What i am wondering is if Maracyn is harsh on the fish or if it will acually heal up his tail anyone whos had results with maracyn2 please comment! also is there anything else i can do to speed up recovery?

THANKS A BUNCH!

Hello Goldfish22 - sorry your fish isn't well.

Before we try to figure out which treatment would help, could you answer the diagnosis questions in the white box above. Scroll up to the top and you can copy and paste.

It is much easier once we know more about your tank set-up and the water chemistry.

Post back when you can.

well my goldfish is about 6years old i have no idea what the ammonia,nitrate,or ph levels are my water comes from the Tap i have a 10 gallon but i just purchased a 20 gallon i have a tetra whisper filter medium size i change about half the water every 2 weeks i use API stress coat and tap water conditioner. I feed my fish tetra flakes and on his tail there are frayed fins and fungus but he seems normal and happy as usual which is good. but what i think i am going to do is wait for the 20 gallon to go through the nitrogen cycle and then put my fish in and start maracyn 2. Do you think that would be the best choice considering that the rocks and everything are new?

Well, I would say that the root of your problem lies with the water quality. You will need to be sure of this before throwing more meds into the tank. If the water chemistry is out of whack, administering meds will not work. It will usually make the water even more toxic.

So, the first thing you need to do is a very big water change with temperature matched water.

Next, b]get yourself a test-kit [/b]-preferably drops, as strips are very inaccurate. Keeping water pristine is the most important part of fishkeeping and knowing your water chemistry is the best tool you have as a fishkeeper.

As you have your fish in the minimum space a goldie needs (10g - fancy, 20g single-tail) you really need to be changing over 50% each week. I think the fortnightly changes are far too insufficient and are probably where your tank is going off course. I'd probably be doing almost 100%, personally, or a couple of smaller ones each week. Otherwise, the amount of waste building up in the tank cannot be sufficiently diluted to keep harmful bacterial levels down. Secondly, if nitrate levels rise too high, the tank water will become too acidic and your PH will start to slide downwards causing great stress to the fish. Ragged fins and bacterial/fungal outbreaks are very common in this situation. It's very good that you have a 20g available and your fish will do much better once you can up his space and water changes.

PS You can read the two links below my signature which will explain a lot more about your fishes needs. Also, if you can't get a test-kit straight away you can take a sample to the fishstore where they will test it for free. Get exact numbers, though - not answers like 'OK' or 'a bit high'

Once you can let us know your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH we can make a plan of action. It may be the case that all that will be needed will be perfect water (= zero ammonia and nitrite, nitrates under 20 and a PH above 7.0) and perhaps some salt.

So let's see what's happening with the water and we'll take it from there :)

Archived