I Need Some Advice.......

Hi everyone, I normally don't post here but recently my dad recently went ice fishing.

He planned on goin again a few days later so he just hung on to the leftover minnows in their little container full of ice. But his plans changed so he asked me what to do. Since I wouldn't dream of putting the little guys (20+ minnows) in my tank with my goldfish, I got a 3-4 gal bucket (biggest we have that's clean and usuable) and set it up with an airator and etc...

So that was about a week ago, and only 4-5 have died. I'm doing everything I can treating them like my goldfish, until I can get my dad to get his butt out ice fishing again. And this time, make sure that he'll let the unused ones go.

I know this can be a controversial topic for some people, but if you have any tips for me on keeping these baby pikes, walleye, carp, etc... alive, that'd be great. :):help1

These little guys are quite hardy, but they need to be in a nice lake somewhere.

:pond

no no no, these are simple minnows you'd buy at a bait shop. I believe the bait shop buys them from the South Dakota state hatcheries. These are simply baby fish that are normally found in South Dakota waters. If these were some type of foreign fish I'm pretty sure my dad wouldn't have been able to get a hold of them. So I'm pretty sure letting them go is safe.

But until then......

Well if they aren't native to your area it's illegal to release them into the wild. You should probably try to identify exactly what species they are and your local fish and game authorities could tell you how to properly deal with or dispose of them.

yea I know the rules for fishing. (it's pretty big in my area and my family) and I'm almost positive they're native, baby Pike have very distinct features from the others, and the others are all other well known fish here.

My problem is keeping them healthy til it's time to get them out.

The filter would take longer to cycle then you'll probably have them. As much as I hate to say it, keep 'em in the bucket like you've got 'em. They're gonna end up fish food anyways.

Gosh, that's so uncharacteristic of me to say. Um, keep doing water changes, and hope your dad goes out again soon.

Archived