Just A Question

Guest MommySam0618

Guest MommySam0618

After looking at some of the tank pictures I notices that a lot of you have what looks like terra cotta pots in your tanks. They look lovely by the way!

I was wondering if that's just what it is, a plain terra cotta pot or is there some 'fish friendly' pot I can get?

After problems with bought ornaments I switched to Terra-Cotta pots and glass bowls myfish love em :D

I had some in my tank before I redid it. Just be sure to scrub them out when you do wcs, as if they are not sealed they will hold a lot of food and cruddy water. :thumbdown

Guest MommySam0618
when planting live plants in the tera cota pots, what do you use? Just plain old dirt or some sort of tank gravel? :blink:

I was wondering the same thing. I plan on trying my hand at live plants too.

you can use many different things. Aquarium gravel is good but not the best for plant growth. You can use some of the commercial aquarium plant substrates such as fluorite, aqua soil, eco complete or you can get yourself some good african violet potting soil without any chemicals etc in it which could harm your fish. You then fill the pot about 2/3 full with the african violet soil then top up with some river stones or gravel on the top that will let the plants grow into the soil and the goldies can not root them as they are under gravel or river stones.

My guess would be not if there's dirt and real plants in them. Mine had silk plants held in with marbles, which was why I had to clean them out every wc.

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm using terra-cotta that has been previously used for regular plants, is there anything I must do to them before putting them in the tank? Should I boil them? I have already scrubbed them and soaked them in water treated with AquaSafe for 24 hours.

Archived