Do You Wake Before Your Fish?

Earth!Mother

I wake up around 5 am, with the lights off. When I turn them on, Athena is still in a trance in her tank. She goes from one stage of alertness to another until she is up and begging for breakfast. :P

Do you guys wake before your fish? Or is this trance like state something odd? :blink:

On *rare* occasions I've gotten up before my fish, and yes, they are still asleep (in a trance). I have an automatic timer on the lights to their tank, I try to set it for after sunup so they don't get a rude awakening. Nothing worse than having someone flick the lights on while you're used to the dark....especially when you have no eyelids!!! :D

OF course!!! The fish have their own room - mostly - and the lights are NOT turned on until sometime after sunrise. The only tank that is not this way is in the kitchen - and I cover it with a light blocking cover at night so I can turn on the lights to cook the cat food.

:)

My tank is in the lounge, so when my sister gets up for school and it is still dark outside, the lounge light goes on. The fish dont seem to mind, and its not like we just flick the tank lights on.

O:

I'd love to have a room for my fish, Daryl! But mine are currently in my room. And Chrissy and Clair I know what you mean, I hate turning the tank lights on right away because I feel like I am disturbing her. So the room lights go on, and when I see she is more active I turn the tank lights on.

:]

So the room lights go on, and when I see she is more active I turn the tank lights on

I've done that as well when it's dark but I need to turn on the lights. :)

Daryl, that's a good idea about the cover. I have newts and my frog in my bedroom and the lights get flicked on and off a lot. I try not to but sometimes I have no choice, maybe I could start covering them up at night to save their poor little eyes.

Guest MommySam0618

on a rare occasion I'll be up before my fish are begging for food. They are usually up by 6:30 and 'sleeping' by 9

It's funny when I have to tuck the fish in to bed(turn the light off) long before I go to bed.

Am always up before the fish. I dont turn my bedroom light on in morning as I have 3 tanks in my room. But when I go in the living room they all floating asleep when i switch the light on

I work 3rd shift 10pm-7am, and turn the lights off before I leave for work. When I get home, they are already awake begging for food when they see me come in. Now the tropical fish sleep in a little...I have to turn their light on to wake them up so I can feed them before I go to bed. Funny thing about Moby and Florence though is I have gotten up in the afternoon before and they are "napping" in the corner even when the light is on. Especially on cloudy overcast days when its dark in the living room where they are. I think they are confused, like me. :zz

Lol my fish is usually awake and swimming around happily, then when i wake up he gives me a look as if to say ''Well what about some light in here'' :D There is the odd occasion when im awake before Lister && if I put his light on before he's ready, he just kinda goes in a strop with me lol! Until he realises its dinner time, then hes my friend again lol. :D

by the time i get up everyone is swimming around begging for food but then i don't get up till 10-11am lol :P unless it is a school day then i get up at 7am

I have a timer on my lights (soooooooo convenient!), so it depends on when I wake up to if my fish are awake then. I'm pretty sure I set it to turn on around 9am, so during the holidays they are always awake before me :P

Guest eric2601

lioghts are out on all by 10:00 pm - most of mine start to stir at the end of the 5th hour - and are ready to mubnch on anything by 6:00 am

My big fish are all in the tank in my bedroom. The tank is right by the bed and at night I can see them still swimming around. When I wake up in the morning they are staring at me from the corner of the tank. They watch my every move. It's comical to see them there looking at me. :lol1

I used to do that, when I worked early mornings. The fish were floating asleep in the tank.

Nowadays I don't go down until the lights have turned on, I have a timer. It turns on in about 10 minutes! :D

During the winter, when I get up it's still dark out. I turn on the light in the kitchen first and that light reaches the dining/living room but not so bright that it startles the fish. After about half an hour when my son eats breakfast before leaving for school, the lights are on and the fish are looking to be fed. As the sun comes up earlier the fish also wake up earlier.

Guest eric2601

As a followup - Lovie can be rather deceptive - she loves a low rock over hang that allows the feeling of confinement and her belief that I cannot see her - one eye is peering out the side of the space in the rock ledge - - enteringthe room results in this dramatic "suprise party" like a little kid in hide and seek - ... The only time I noticew her "in the zone" elongation of sleep time is when she is in peak egg production - where she seems to need an aditional hour. IN Lovie's case- her main sleep time is done in suspended facing outward - in cruise control mode - facinates me how perfectly they all can keep depth and position so perfect with very little motion.

Some of the best pictures of my fish I've ever taken were done while they were sleeping :)

One time Jack scared the flakes right out of me, I thought he was dead he was so still.... and my loaches play dead all the time. On occasion I've had to go into the tank and rouse them.

On weekdays I see them still asleep. Every fish has it's own spot in the tank to sleep. At 7u00 I turn on the lights in the room and later on the tank lights. At 23h00 the lights go out, but they are often still awake. In the weekends they wonder why they get their breakfast so late :D

Archived