Eeeew. Gross!

Pixiefish

These are the times I wish I'd never had cats.

I staggered downstairs at 6.45 this morning as my daughter had an early school-entrance exam today. Imagine my horror when, bare-foot in the half light, I almost stepped on a HUGE dead rat lying right in the middle of the floor! I near died of heart failure. Mice I don't mind and am used to picking up, after a nights hunting. But this was something else! Really stocky and big with an enormously long, fat tail. Almost as big as my cat, itself. I eventually pushed it into a dust pan with a brush and threw it into the garden. Eeew!

It took about 15 minutes before my involuntary shuddering stopped. I think I need a drink just thinking about it. Is 10.50 am too early, do you suppose? :linedrink

:yikes thank goodness you didn't tread right on it- squirm.... :krazy:

I'm not a fan of large stray rats either, especially in the house - but I expect your cat was very proud and wondered why she wasn't getting a special treat for the present delivery. Hope you feel better soon :k055: . A strong coffee with a shot of whisky and some cream? ( For your cat of course :rofl )

:yikes thank goodness you didn't tread right on it- squirm.... :krazy:

Oh God! Make that a double, bartender :ill

Yes, fat Otto (psycho-hunter) was all pert and chatty and curling round my legs. I, of course, wanted to hurl him from the battlements! Maybe it will be a rabbit next?

One of our cats once brought home a mouse and put it in my sisters shoe, which she put on without knowing, the screams could have been heard for miles.

Other cretures that have been brought home are- a pigeon, numerous birds, mice, rabbits (wild) and the strangest thing of all brought home over 6 ft high fences by our one eyed cat was a mole!

Im glad you didnt step on it as I am sure you would have still been showering! Hope you have calmed down now. Cats are strange hunters sometimes.

One of our cats once brought home a mouse and put it in my sisters shoe, which she put on without knowing, the screams could have been heard for miles.

That's funny, Claire! I can just picture it.

My husband has a morbid fear of rodents, so in our house I have to be the disposal dept. He spent part of his childhood in Panama where he said the rats were as big as Jack Russells. When the rainy season brought floods they would try to out-run the rising waters by escaping into the houses! One morning he found a clutch of wriggling, new, red babies in his pencil case. Ghaa! They call them 'guaiabitos' - guaiaba is their word for guava so guaiabitos means 'little guavas' because they're red and small. How disgusting is that?

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! I'm not even bothered that much by rats but that is GROSS! You poor thing.

This is why I'm glad my cat doesn't go outside :D

I once had a cat bring home a *live* chipmunk. We raised it and let it go, it was suprisingly tame!

I am not a fan of dead rodents, but I would feel happy that it was not alive in the house. That would be much worse.

My biggest concern would be the cats. Rats can inflict some VERY nasty wounds during a life and death battle - bite wounds are not always easy to see - at least until they are infected. I would give your cat a REALLY careful check up - looking for ANYTHING that might indicate a bite wound.

when i was a kid my mum paid me 50p to clean up a 'death' by our cat that we had at the time. Now i freak out if I am called upon.

Yup! After recovering my equilibrium, that was the first thing I thought of. Rats teeth are very long and they don't take a fight lying down! I'm going to look him over once he comes back in.

I hope it's not going to be another trip to the vet - my last bill was ?450, that's about $900. I think I'll just give them my card and tell them to help themselves at this point!

Oh Pix, all of us with cats can relate, Hon! Thankfully, my cats have never brought any of their "trophies" inside, but have left many on my doorsteps and porches. However, I am like you, a HUGE rat is an awful thing to wake up to! UGH!!!! I am not squeemish when it comes to their kills, but a big rat like that...I don't think I could have handled it! My hat is off to you, Girl!

Thats Disgusting!

Our Cat Godzilla did that to my mom once with half a dead mouse.

Im in my room and all i hear is this bloodcurdleing shreak from the basement. Turns out the cat had eaten half of a mouse and left the other half for us to "Find" My mother found it allright, she stepped on it. I got down there and she was standing like a flamingo with the other half stuck to her foot, saying "Just get the *&%$#@! PAPER TOWELS and STOP LAUGHING! THIS IS NOT FUNNY!"

Oh I was rolling, only to wake up with a bird head in my room the next day. The cat got me back. lol

Thats Disgusting!

Our Cat Godzilla did that to my mom once with half a dead mouse.

Im in my room and all i hear is this bloodcurdleing shreak from the basement. Turns out the cat had eaten half of a mouse and left the other half for us to "Find" My mother found it allright, she stepped on it. I got down there and she was standing like a flamingo with the other half stuck to her foot, saying "Just get the *&%$#@! PAPER TOWELS and STOP LAUGHING! THIS IS NOT FUNNY!"

Oh I was rolling, only to wake up with a bird head in my room the next day. The cat got me back. lol

:rofl @ your mom! I'm sorry but that was FUNNY!!!!

i don't have a cat but my dogs do things like that and they bring them home as a gift to the family us guys in the family are like ahhh okay my mum being the only female squirms out and hides in the cupboard lol

I love rats!!! I think they are adorable! I was petting one at a petstore once, it was just the cutest thing although it bit me and I didnt stop bleeding until about an hour later lol, I still love that little rat though, too bad my mom is scared of them, I would've bought it!

Ewwww... atleast it was dead! Pandora our bobtailed cat is such a good hunter she brings in all sorts of stuff mice, lizards, moles, voles, but most of the time they aren't dead yet, she brings her "'toys" in to play with them.

I have an indoor cat who "hunts" nonliving things. Some of her proudest finds are twist ties, hair ties, her stuffed clownfish, rubber animals... and so on!

Speaking of rat bites, I have a lovely one on my finger from my pet rat, Jack. It is a nice deep chomp, and it came through the bars of his cage! I have seen nasty injuries on dogs and cats from rat bites.

Archived