Lid Or No Lid?

Guest dmartins

Guest dmartins

hello,

i am planning out my DIY tank and stepped into a LFS for some ideas on lighting. the guy there (seemed like the owner) suggested that i "have to" put a lid on the tank or the water will dissipatate out and I will have problems with the wall paint near the tank peeling....i dont think this will happen as it doesnt make sense.

if it is requried, i will get the glass shop to cut me a lid.

any ideas?

a lid is not needed if you keep a fish that is a jumper i would have a lid though. you will not have problems with paint. Infact with no lid you have more choices in terms of the decor of your tank and the lighting fixture.

I think the store guy meant the tank water will (over time) cause condensation on the wall paper thats above the tank and the paper may bump up . It can get damp above tanks, but its minimal & if its near a window and/or you a have good ventilation and circulation in the room you should be okay..

I like my tanks covered because I have heaters in most of them and it keeps the cost lower if the heat is well insulated in. In the summer, all the lids come off to cool the water down.

I like lids for I can suspend lights over the tanks without damage to them from the water. I also have cats and dust bunnies and thrown toys and helicopters flying in the house (we like to play!) These do not land in the tank.

In the spring invasion of various insects, I get very few in the tanks. I like to control what goes in there. IT does cut down on condensation, too.

Guest dmartins

i really like the look of no lid. actually, the tank will look very minimalistic in the end (barebottom except for some riverstone, filter/air pump out of site, recessed light). maybe a live plant or two...visitors will think im cruel because the fish will having "nothing to play with" lol

worst case scenario, i can make a custom plexiglass lid later on if i notice issues.

thanks!

The fish will be fine without "playtoys". Mine are thriving and I am a minimalist, also. As far as manufacturing a top, plexiglass is generally not the best choice. It actually "flows" with time - and will sag within 6-8 months. Look for Lexan. :)

Guest dmartins
or you could go with just a hood :D

i cant....its a special size to fit in a wall nook....basically, the tank will be 37" x 10.5" x 15"

Archived