Pelvic Fin Missing?

Smilingfish

Being new to this site I am not sure where to post this question.

My 2" lionhead Lionel has been with me since August 07. When I first brought him home I was mesmerized with his unique style of swimming compared to my ornadas so I watched him alot (& still do). He had 2 pelvic fins one completely orange & one white with a nice sized orange dot. I thought it was cool that he had matching pectoral fins of the same coloring. About 3 weeks ago I noticed Lionel was missing his white & orange pelvic fin. Really strange. There is a small indentation of where the pelvic fin would be but..it's gone. He didn't show any signs of distress or even a scar from where the pelvic fin connected to his body. Even now he swims excellently & seems unaffected by it's loss. So any ideas on why his pelvic fins is missing? And is it routine for this sort of thing to happen?

Oh, this site is the bomb! :panana

Guest Chicklette

It sounds like you may have an aggressive goldfish in the tank. I would keep an eye on the fish in the tank to see if that is what's happening. This is not common for goldfish to be missing fins. Are you keeping any other fish in the tank besides goldfish? Some goldfish can be quite nasty.

Only goldfish in this tank. One oranda died New Year's eve due to complications from overfeeding/air bladder infection caught too late. And now Lionel just has Fiona another oranda. Both orandas were very docile. Really strange situation...

It is entirely possible that he had an injury - even from before you got him. As the injury slowly heals, the fin will fall off. I have a Phoenix that was severely injured - they said it was chewed on by a pleco. The fins were all there but the fish was a mess. Now, about 4 months later, the fins have started to regrow - and I have found 6 inch long fin pieces in the bottom of the tank. They look normal and healthy and all - but they just fall off. Where they were, the skin has healed over and a new, beginning nub of a fin is regrowing.....

Just a thought...........

Hmm, interesting. My Firefly only has one pelvic fin as well. I thought at first that it might have been an injury, but it has never grown back. And on closer examination there does not even appear to be nub or indent where it would be. It is just not there! She is a totally unique fish :heart

Thought I'd throw in a couple pics of Firefly's one pelvic fin. The pics aren't the greatest. It's really hard to zoom and get a shot when they keep swimming around. Maybe she's just modest and doesn't like people taking pics of her rear :rofl

DSC_01042.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

It is entirely possible that he had an injury - even from before you got him. As the injury slowly heals, the fin will fall off. I have a Phoenix that was severely injured - they said it was chewed on by a pleco. The fins were all there but the fish was a mess. Now, about 4 months later, the fins have started to regrow - and I have found 6 inch long fin pieces in the bottom of the tank. They look normal and healthy and all - but they just fall off. Where they were, the skin has healed over and a new, beginning nub of a fin is regrowing.....

Just a thought...........

That could very well be the case which brings up another question. Do fins grow back? I didn't think they did but it could be interesting to see it is does. And if it is identical in colouring to his orginial fin. Thanks for the input. :)

Archived