Algae?

Guest trudy_w

Guest trudy_w

We managed to get the algae we had building up gone. Tank was looking good and algae free for maybe a month or so and then the algae started showing back up again. It wasn't too horrible last weekend when I cleaned the tank, but I rubbed the algae off all the plants as I was cleaning. All plants are real - not a heavily planted tank, but there are quite a few plants in there.

Now the plants are covered in bright green algae again as well as the slate, stones, driftwood, and the back wall is getting green again as well as spots on the front and sides.

We removed the charcoal from the filter and put in some algae remover stuff (algafix) and have been using that as instructed on the bottle for about 2 weeks. I'd like to get the charcoal back in there, but the algae isn't getting any better.

It's a 65 gallon tank (5 small goldies and 2 plecos (a clown and a little green pleco)). Water quality is fine (ammonia - 0, nitrates - 0, nitrites - 0).

Temp is around 74-75 to keep the plecos happy.

How do I get rid of the algae if the algae remover stuff doesn't seem to be helping at all?

I plan on cleaning the tank again tomorrow - anything I can do while cleaning besides scrubbing all the walls again and rubbing it off from plants and stuff?

Aaaargh. Be careful with algae remover. Its a pesticide and not good for fish...what's wrong with algae- I LOVE the bright green algae-its a great help keeping nitrates in order :)

Seriously though -if you really can't stand it, invest in a UV steriliser. Its the only perfect safe way and it has the added bonus of lowering bacteria count in( most of )the water.

Actually, the AlgaeFix is a low grade HERBACIDE - but can be potentially problematic for the fish. When using it, you are balancing along the fence line - too little will not kill algae and too much will harm the fish.

Try giving your tank fewer hours of light and/or lowering the nitrates a bit more. Since I have been keeping my nitrates at 5ppm or less, I have very little algae in my tanks.

:)

Oooooh I would KILL to have green algae all over the tank! I have a nice carpet of the lovely green on the glass under my light where no one can see it and all I can seem to get on the glass and decorations is that nasty brown stuff!

Its a personal preference, but I think the green algae is nice and very natural looking on the back and sides of the tank. The brown stuff just looks, well...brown.

Archived