Attention Python Users!

nickie73

Okay, I am new to using my python. I have only used it twice now. The problem I am having is that when I go to FILL the tank back up, when I have the lever in the "closed" position to give me time to make it from the sink to the tank, water splashes out of the connector to the sink and gets everywhere!!! I have checked and the connector is properly attached, not too tight, not too loose, but it happens no matter what I do. The water splashes all in my floor, counter tops, etc. Any suggestions?

Also, I have trouble getting all the water out of the python when I go to put it up. Lastly, how to you store yours to let it dry out after use? How do you clean them? Thanks!!!!

its best not to close it at all cause of the strong water pressure, I have made that same mistake before! I also leave the water in the python and close the valve, its usually just laying on the floor cause I use it almost every day, my mom gets mad about that though, and u cant really clean them, mine is already starting to get all gunky inside

its best not to close it at all cause of the strong water pressure, I have made that same mistake before! I also leave the water in the python and close the valve, its usually just laying on the floor cause I use it almost every day, my mom gets mad about that though, and u cant really clean them, mine is already starting to get all gunky inside

But if you don't clean them, won't they harbor bacteria and hurt the fish?

you are supposed to clean them i bleach mine after every water change and let it dry out on the clothesline in the sun it is then ready to use next water change

I am too lazy to clean mine every day, but I do it every week or so, if I remember. 2 weeks at the most....

I just pour bleach in it, let it sit for half an hour, then I let water runn through for a few minutes. After that I let it fill up with water, add a healthy dose of Prime to it, and let that sit as well. Another option is having it sit in PP - that takes care of any gunk leftover from the bleach. :)

Nickie, I don't know about the connector issue - is there a rubber washer in there? That would be my only thought as to why it would splash all over the place.

I've only had mine for a few months, but here's what I've learned. I never leave mine pressurized (set to fill with the valve closed). The one time I did, the hose came off at the sink and there was water everywhere! The sink was still on, so I couldn't even run to take care of it since I didn't want to slip on the water on the way there. Now, I never pressurize the hose or have the water on too high when I'm filling. Once the temp is correct, I hook the end over the side of the tank (not touching the surface of the water!), go back to the sink, set it to fill, then walk back to my tank. The distance is perfect so that I can usually beat the water there by walking, but not by much. I just have the hose at the tank already just in case. :)

To stop filling, it's really best to have someone else turn the water off for you. When I don't have anybody around, I put the end in a bucket and carry the hose and the bucket back to the sink to turn it off. Then, I set the python back to drain and coil the hose while the sink is draining it. This gets most of the water out and works well enough for a general water cleaning. When I want to clean my python, I get a bucket of bleach water and drain that through the python, then fill it back up (again with the python), add some prime, then drain it again.

I also leave the water in the python and close the valve, its usually just laying on the floor cause I use it almost every day, my mom gets mad about that though, and u cant really clean them, mine is already starting to get all gunky inside

This may be the reason you are having regular probs with your fish. Apart from bacteria breeding in the water sitting in an enclosed airless tube, you will also be cross contaminating all your tanks.

i never use the little open/close valve on my python as i have had problems with it before. when i am filling the tank i put the python nozzle in to the tank and close the lid on it so that it stays in position. then i can go and turnthe tap on slowly. to clean mine i leave it connected to the tap and pour boiling water into the end. a full kettle is enough to fill the whole hose. for a deep clean use one part bleach to ten parts water, then rinse thoroughly and as andrea states add some prime :)

The way I clean mine (when I think about it!), is pour bleach into a bucket, and then suck it up with the python letting it go down the drain. When I'm done...I run tap water back through it to remove the bleach.

The way I get all the water out of it after each use, is I gather it up like a lawn hose while it's sucking the water down the drain....lifting the hose as I go to get all the water to drain backwards into the sink. I keep it outside on my pool patio after use, in a chair...which lets it air dry the rest of the way.

i never use the little open/close valve on my python as i have had problems with it before.

Me neither. I don't use my tap anymore though for WC's, so don't have to worry about it anyway...but when I did, I had my son run to the sink to turn the water off for me. It was a 2 person job! :yeah:

I also leave the water in the python and close the valve, its usually just laying on the floor cause I use it almost every day, my mom gets mad about that though, and u cant really clean them, mine is already starting to get all gunky inside

This may be the reason you are having regular probs with your fish. Apart from bacteria breeding in the water sitting in an enclosed airless tube, you will also be cross contaminating all your tanks.

maybe although I havent had problems recently. I mgiht try the bleach but Im really scared to use it ever since I almost killed my betta with it.

also, I have a 50 foot python (from a different company but same thing), if its filled with water and I were to add half a teaspoon of bleach would that b ok or is that too much? I really dont wana hurt my fish with it again, and how much water conditioner afterward? Is one capful of tetra waterconditioner enough? That would b for 20 gallons.

also, I have a 50 foot python (from a different company but same thing), if its filled with water and I were to add half a teaspoon of bleach would that b ok or is that too much? I really dont wana hurt my fish with it again, and how much water conditioner afterward? Is one capful of tetra waterconditioner enough? That would b for 20 gallons.

Just to be clear - the disinfecting ratio is >1 part bleach - 20 parts water. After disinfecting you should rinse well with tap water. Then you can soak the hose in a de-chlor solution - you can double dose this - run it through (the hose) and let it sit in a bucket. If you follow these steps there should be no problem. De-chlor neutralizes chlorine (bleach) just like Hydrogen peroxide neutralizes Pottassium Permanganate.

By using the same hose on all your tanks without sterilizing you could cross contaminate all your fish. Especially if you are working with rescues or new fish.

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Nickie!

PS For the smaller tanks, you could perhaps use an ordinary gravel vac which would be easier to clean between each tanks use as the hose is shorter. Then maybe save the python for the bigger tank/s? Depends when you do changes.

I use the python on all my tanks except 2 of the betta tanks, and I clean all of them once a week. I will try the bleach today I guess, is it good enough if I do it once a week or every second week and when i use it with sick fish?

I always throw a towel over the top of the faucet and let it hang down into the sink a little ways. The water occasionally splashes out when I'm using the Python, but the towel gets wet and the water flows into the sink and doesn't splash all over the place. Problem solved!

After I fill the tank, I reverse the Python again to get as much water out of the hose as possible. I detach it from the faucet (I have the brass snap-on connectors) and hang it up in the furnace room. It usually dries over night. I have the 75 foot Python and the 25 footers.

Archived