Anubias Barteri

Guest KathrynO

Guest KathrynO

I've wanted to add more live plants to my tank, but had troubles with plants dying in the past. Dan in Aust's list of aquatic plants got me thinking again. I found out that the one plant that has done well for me is an Anubias. Armed with a list of plants that would do well in my regular low-light tank, I visited several fish stores yesterday. I didn't have much luck as many of the plants were ones that were either not truly aquatic or required much higher light than my current set-up provides. I found an Anubias barteri at my local store (I purchased my other Anabias from this store about two years ago) and I got two Microsorium pteropus from a chain pet store.

I like to clean my gravel well when changing the water, so I decided to attach the Anabias to a piece of wood or rock as Dan suggested. I found a nice small rock with a hole in the center when I was at the local pet store. I cut the black plastic pot off the plant and removed most of the foam from the roots. I put the base of the plant in a hole in the rock and tied it with fishing line. Here's a picture of the finished product.

IMG_7264.jpg

I think I might try this with a few more plants in preparation for my next tank, which will probably be bare-bottom.

Thanks for the great list of plants Dan!

Thats a nice big Anubia. I love Anubias, have quite a few varieties and practically goldie proof! I have tied mine to wood, and they do well, lots of new growth. My Anubia Barteri isnt doing quite so well at the moment, I have black algae in my tank that likes its big leaves. I have a barebottom tank (see updated plant pics) and have my Anubias and Java Fern tied to wood, and other plnats left in the black plastic pots. Most people dont like the look of the pots, but I dont mind, and the gaps in the allow tha plants roots room to get out!

Good luck in planting out your tank again, its a lot of fun.

• Admin
Thats a nice big Anubia. I love Anubias, have quite a few varieties and practically goldie proof! I have tied mine to wood, and they do well, lots of new growth. My Anubia Barteri isnt doing quite so well at the moment, I have black algae in my tank that likes its big leaves. I have a barebottom tank (see updated plant pics) and have my Anubias and Java Fern tied to wood, and other plnats left in the black plastic pots. Most people dont like the look of the pots, but I dont mind, and the gaps in the allow tha plants roots room to get out!

Good luck in planting out your tank again, its a lot of fun.

Anubia's are great plants w goldfish, they even bloom in ur tank :D

Archived