Just A Quick Question

Fish_Fanatic

Corys should be kept in groups of 3 or more. And it depends on the type of tetra, some of the smaller ones would be ok. But they're also schooling fish, so should be kept in groups.

Depends on the tetra--I had some nip my cories fins and one even attacked my albino. :o

I had teras with cories and had no problems. What breed of tetra where they? I had neons.

Guest Jake Minimuto

I have 5 neons and an elegant cory with no problems in my 5 g. tank. now i am not posting this to advertise to some wacky people that my tank is overstocked or something. all i wanted to say is that i have no problems.

Man I REALLY hope not. C'mon Jake, tell us you have a new tank too... :please

See my reply in your other post, the gobys and cichlid need lots of room to not be agressive. Plus every fish you've mentioned except the tetras are bottom dwellers, you're gonna have some real fights for territory down there. Not to mentioned your water will be poison soup in a matter of days. There's no way five gallons of water and a minifilter can support that type of bioload. Please say you didn't put them all in a five gallon.

Guest Jake Minimuto

Sorry, I did.

but the there is good news too. I have a cave for my cory and a cave for my cichlid, I overfilter by about 50gph, and my gobies don't use caves, in fact, they barely even stay at the bottom!

J

P.S.

My fishkeeper showed me a tank with three dwarf cockatoo cichlids and all these amandae tetras that are about an inch in size. the cichlid just left them alone.

P.P.S. you can call me J because my real name is not Jake, it is Jonathan.

You are beyond overstocked!! You need to set up your 19 gal or whatever it is pronto... I mean you should stop ignoring the good advice of these people on the forums... poor fish :(

Unless you want your fish to die horrible cramped deaths, make some space, they'll never be able to live their lives peacefully

Guest Jake Minimuto

My fish are NOT cramped. if anything, how big is your house? my fish's tank in relation to their body size is like having a person in about a 2300 sq. ft. house.

Please :stop bothering me about this. it was not my idea, my lfs said I could. if your advice is true, all dealer's tanks and all people's tanks are overstocked!

also, you remember what I said in post #8???? Huh??? Huh???? Now look where we are now!!!

J

Many other people can vouch with me on this, some if not the majority of local pet stores have staff that know nothing of safe fish housing. Most of these stores sell fish because they all want a fatter paycheck, hard to understand but its true, they do not care about the welfare of their fish. They keep tanks to sell fish, not keep them. And if more die? Guess what they order more...

Guest Jake Minimuto

You know what I noticed? at pets mart the fish sit at the bottom of the bag when you bring them home. they don't even give you a brown bag for your fish!

At my favorite fish store(Living Art Aquarium) just yesterday when I got my fish they were swimming around in the bag after two hours of sitting in a car with a temperature of about 50 degrees. right when they got in the tank they kept looking as happy as they do now. pets mart fish sit at the bottom of the tank after they get in your tank and only start swimming when you feed them.

J

Your basing your opinions and observations on just one out of many local chain stores, then basing them on specific species of fish? Did you even qt them?

Tell me how big is your tank and how many fish there are, also what kind are in their? And please do not get too angry, I mean no harm even if I do sound blunt.

Guest Jake Minimuto

Okay, I have 5 neon tetras, 1 elegant cory, 2 bumblebee gobies, and 1 dwarf cockatoo cichlid.

No live plants.

I use salt in my water for my gobies.

J

My fish are NOT cramped...It was not my idea, my lfs said I could. if your advice is true, all dealer's tanks and all people's tanks are overstocked!

Of course dealer tanks are overstocked! They need to house the most fish they can to sell more! Can you imagine how big the shops would have to be otherwise,or how few fish they would be able to house and sell, if (for example) every goldfish had at least 10 gallons each like is recommended?

Your fish may look happy enough to you, but I can't understand the logic of adding so many fish to so small a tank, and then actually acknowledging that it is an overstocked tank, and just completely rejecting other people's advice! I guess it's uo to you though, I suppose.

Maybe not explicitly, but you did say you weren't interested in 'whacky' people telling you it is overstocked, which must mean that you are aware of it yourself really.

And subsequently, people have told you it is overstocked.

I am not looking for an argument, I'm simply concerned that the fish are crowded, like everyone else. Like I said, it's up to you.

Archived