Help. New To Goldfish And To Koko's

Guest chefra

Guest chefra

Hello everyone. Last night my neighbor came over with a present for my 10 year old. 3 very beautiful goldfish in a very clean bowl. I don't know much about fish but what I do know is that if I keep them in this small bowl they will all die. My son was standing right there or I might have said thanks but nothanks. We also have a newborn. Anyway I don't know where to begin, I have read this whole website and now I am even more scared. My son has already named them and I don't think that he is prepared for them to die so I would like to prevent that the best that I can. Please Help Me with the easiest solution to this beautiful problem. Thanks everyone. Chefra..... :krazy::blink::krazy:

:welcome hi and welcome to kgw! :hi

yes, you are right, the goldfish should be taken out of that bowl as soon as possible :) Are they single tails (the common 'feeder' fish) or are they fancy goldfish. Single tails need atleaast 20 gal each and fancies need 10 gal each. so you're looking at a tank that is atleast 30 gal. :D right now, you should try and get them the largest tank you can afford with 10x filtration. even a 10 gal would be better than that bowl, but plan to upgrade soon. Another thing you are going to need is some kind of water conditioner (PRIME is recommended :D ) and test kits. Look forward to doing lots of waterchanges as your tank cycles lol. you shouldnt be scared, your starting a really fun hobby! lol ;) if you have any questions, feel free to ask :D

here are some helpful links to get ya started

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tensteps.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

Hello! Welcome to KoKo's :D ..Goldies need 10gpf..(gallon per fish)..Or 20gpf for fancies..What kind of goldies are they?..Do you have a tank or large tub you can put them into for now?.. Cycling is important also..you will need to do this.. Already having the fish you may have to cycle with them..Let us know so we can further help ya :exactly

Oh boy! Now here's a present you really could have done without. Especially just as you've had a new baby! And as your little lad has already seen them, there is no going back now!

Well, you are absolutely right about the bowl and it's great that you've found us here. 3 fish in a bowl will produce a lot of ammonia very quickly, so changing their water every day until you can get bigger housing is the No.1 priority BUT you must add a dechlorinator to the water to avoid killing them.

You have an urgent appointment with the fish store, my friend, so I'll write you a list of what you'll need:

*A larger tank or crate to keep them in (common goldfish with a single tail need 20gals each - fancies require 10g) So, if you don't want to splurge on an aquarium right away you could get yourself a rubbermaid crate of between 30-60 gals, depending on the type of fish. How big are they by the way?

*A filter turning over x10 the tank volume p/hr - 30gals will need 300gals p/hr filter.

*A test kit for water chemistry - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH. This is important when you have anew set-up because the fish's waste will poison the water very quickly. Without test results you won't know when or how much water to change.

*Dechlorinator to add to any water you add or change. Chlorine and chloramine used to disinfect municipal water will wreck fishes gills.

*Fish food. Try to get a good quality sinking pellets which you should soak in tank water before feeding. If you choose flakes always soak them first, too. Fish can get sick from gulping too much air while feeding from food floating on the surface.

If you read the two links under my signature you'll be able to get a sense of the basics.

The thing that will will hard in the immediate future is the amount of water changing you will have to do every day. This is always high maintenance when a set-up is new but will eventually become only a weekly exercise.

Post back with any questions and we'll take it from there.

Welcome to your trial by fire!

Pixie

PS Double posted with you other guys!

Guest chefra

Thanks everyone. The fish right now are about 1" - 2" long. I am not sure if they are fancies or common, don't know the difference. We are going to the fish store today. is there any type of filtration system that is better than another? And as far as cycling, what is that just changing the water on a constient basis? Thanks again for all the advice. Chefra

lol, you're gonna luv them after a while lol, and see all the work you done is worth it. darn those cute fishy faces! lol ;)

i have singletails :D they will be your shubunkins, commons, and comet

DSC04300.jpg

and a fancies, they're the ones with the fancier tail. they come in lots of varieties. This is my 'humpless' ryukin lol ;)

DSC09533.jpg

DSC08785.jpg

Well, the thoughts of trying to pull this off with a newborn is bound to 'do your head in'.

It is a little overwhelming all at once but you'll soon get into the swing of things and everyone here is very helpful.

The main thing is to test the water every day and be prepared to make water changes on a daily basis, according to the readings. Whenever ammonia (the first to show up) climbs toward 1ppm you need to change-out enough water to bring it back down to zero. The same with nitrite which will be the next to show up. Once you start to see nitrates appearing you will be in sight of the finish line. When amm and nit are zero you will be cycled.

Get yourself a dropper kit if poss rather than strips which are not very accurate.

You'll find that fishkeeping can become very consuming - so watch out in case your wife decides to divorce you! :rofl

On the other hand, the great thing is that it is a hobby you can share with your son at a time when he might be feeling a little displaced by the baby's arrival. So, this can be his special time with you. My daughter has just turned 11 and recently joined the board herself. She has set up a brackish tank and keeps a puffer fish. There are quite a few children and teenagers here, so maybe your son would have fun joining and asking questions as you both start to fix things up.?

Best of luck and keep us updated :D

Archived