Not Sure Wut Is Going On

NismoSkylineGTR

FATTY in my tank is a Black Oranda

since i been treating the tank with 3% salt

he is turning ORANGE GOLD!!!!!!!!!

his head is loosing black but i think he got bigger in the past week

is there any way i can reduce the changing color i really like the black

but i have a smaller oranda was black and red now all RED

I am actually going to leave this here .... :)

You are welcome to ask anything you wish - and this is simply a topic for discussion for there is probably nothing at all wrong with your fish.

Goldfish change colors all their lives. They start out "green" - a greeny tinged gray - when first hatched and then change color as they age. Black is the most unstable color in the goldfish world. A fish with white and red may have the patterns of white and red shift and drift over the months/years, but a fish that is black may turn totally white or red as time goes.

It is about 95% genetically driven in my opinion. There are a few things you can to to help retain the black of a fish - pH and temperature being the main influencing factors, but, by and large, if your fish does not have the genetic makeup to stay black (or blue or green - all derivitives of black) it will not stay black.

A fish may stay black for the first 2-3 years of life - but then change to totally red or red/white.

Enjoy the kalidoscope of colors a goldfish brings to your life. They are a changing pattern of beauty in my opinion. :)

My little Telescope Ziggy, started out as a black moor - or so I thought. He is now completely red and his transformation has taken about a year. Someone, somewhere on the board wrote a very interesting piece about experiments he'd done with lighting - it resulted in regaining black colour, previously lost on some of his fish. I'm sorry but I can't remember who or where it was.

My fish change colors as they age. I always pray they'll hold on to their black, but in most cases it fades and is replaced by red/orange or orange. Daryl, I've got a little green/gray fantail growing out right now and am patiently waiting to see what this little guy turns into. All his siblings are colored up, but he's still as green as green can be! In my pond they ALL start out black and turn colors over time..... I do have a few fish that have stayed all black, including a few commons in the pond, as well as the new little ranchu I got from the goldfish show last fall. A lot depends on their genetic makeup.

Archived