Rare Find!

CometKeeper

Folks, be sure to keep an eye on not only your LFS's but local "Brand-X" Supercenters for that occassional, rare find. I was at a local "Brand-X" Supercenter today and noticed a tank labeled "Special: Import Goldfish". Well, among the various and sundry "bleh" Goldfish and [yes] Koi, was none other than a beautiful, 3" Wakin. Of course, Wakin are extremely common in Asia, but definitely NOT common in a "Brand-X" Supercenter in Kentucky. She's stunning. She's clear, red-gold like the Wakin pictured on The Bristol Goldfish Society web page. Not one missing scale or blemish. She has as nice a body and caudal conformation as I have seen. Her tail when viewed from either above, behind or from the side, is perfect. All fins are in pairs, which is nice as it can be tough to get double anal fins on a Wakin. She's very likely show quality. Looks as good as the imported Wakin I have paid over $100 apiece for at auction. She's very definitely, lovely!

I asked for and waited for a sales associate that never showed up to help me. Crowded, busy day at "Brand-X". But I was determined not to leave without that fish. Finally, an elderly gentleman who was not from that department came to help. He very carefully netted her out and into a bag, saying, "I'm getting pretty good at this". Indeed. She didn't lose a single scale. And to boot, since I waited for so long with no assistance, he wrote down the code from the 28 cent, Comet tank on the bag. I'm not sure this scenario could have been any better and I sure hope it is an indication of the New Year for me!

Best to all.

Will work on getting pics! She looks similar to Ceasar [below] in proportion and overall conformation. But she is self-colored red metallic and is 3" or so, whereas he was 8" in the photo below.

I also purchased the Calico Wakin currently on the www.goldfishnet.com auction. The one that is colored more like a Shubunkin. I am crazy for Wakin.

Oh and yes. You guessed "Brand-X" correctly. Of all places.

THX.

Yeah, you could have bowled me over with a feather to find the fish where I did. I called my wife over and asked her to look at the tank. Without saying anything else, I asked, "Am I seeing things or do you see what I see?". She couldn't believe it either. I mean this is a lovely fish. I do know they are becoming more commonly found in LFS's in some of the coastal states [such as CA and FL], but this is the first I have seen for sale anywhere around here.

Those who have not owned Wakin, they are considered pond fish but mine have dione well in 90 gallon [and above] set ups. They are quite personable fish that love to eat from your fingers and kind of hang out around the end of the tanl where you're at [i'm sure, hoping for food]. Tommy has them for sale from time to time on www.goldfishnet.com and he brings really, really good ones over from China. I highly recommend these fish [and Tommy].

She sounds fabulous!! I love stories like that--can't wait to see pix.

I was just at my wally world today and most the gf looked awful this time. Usually they look much better. Anyway a lot of either lethargy, bottom sitting, clamped fins and one tank was full of ich!! But they did have some beautiful butterfly koi! :P

Picture, Picture, Picture! Lucky find for you! The WW where I used to live always stocked really nice fish. They often had bubbleeyes, as well as telescopes, fantails, and black moors. I am still combing all the stores for the seldom seen Pom-pom. I want one soooo bad!

Sometimes I see a little wakin in with the feeder goldfish. I buy them when I see them but the conditions in those feeder tanks are so bad that I haven't been able to keep them alive for more than a few days.

I found a few bubble eyes at my wally world, unfortunately they had a black moor who was picking on them in the tank and they really weren't doing too well. They were priced @ $3, but I couldn't take them home with me cause I was terrified of what they might bring into my tank (there were some parasites on the moor). I know parasites happen at many of the stores, so I'm not finger pointing or anything, I was just a bit disappointed because I would have brought them home in a snap otherwise.

Congrats on the find!

Archived