Split Fin

Guest MommySam0618

Guest MommySam0618

• Test Results for the Following:
    Ammonia Level? 0
    Nitrite Level? 0
    Nitrate level? 0
    Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?
  • Ph 7.0 KH Off the charts GH 60
    Ph Level out of the Tap?
  • Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gal 3 months
  • What is the name and size of the filter/s? Top Fin 20
  • How often do you change the water and how much? once it cycled 25% once a month

How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 small<LI>What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tetra Aquasafe<LI>Any medications added to the tank? Coppersafe was put into the tank about mid December<LI>Add any new fish to the tank? no<LI>What do you feed your fish? Top Fin goldfish flakes<LI>Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Other than his sliced tail fin no, and it's a clean cut, not fraying<LI>Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Normal as can be

My comet, Newbie, seems to have torn his tail fin.I looked him over really well and he dosen't have any other injuries. I have plastic plants and it didn't take me long after looking around on here to see that plastic plants are trouble! I have a feeling that's what did it.

What do I do?! He's still zipping around like normal, not acting sick.

I took all the plants out of the tank, I feel like a bad parent!!

If it looks like a clean cut with no blood, more like a slice then it may well be from those plants and a drop of melafix in the water or just perefct water, should be all you need.

Do you still have coppersafe in the tank? - thats a very caustic medication and can be dangerous in soft water- was there a reason why you were you using that?

The coppersafe may also have damaged your beneficial bacteria colony too as your nitrates shouldn't be zero in a cycled tank.

I should keep a close eye on your water, testing for ammonia and nitrites in case you have had a cycle bump. The fin will heal best in perfect water. He sounds fine otherwise :)

How often do you change the water and how much? once it cycled 25% once a month

It might be worth adding that 25% per month is wildly insufficient for 3 fish in a 20gal. Gfish are high waste producers and need generous water changes on a weekly basis.

Just spotted this detail, Trinket and don't mean to barge in! :unsure:

My old eyes. I thought that read weekly :rolleyes: . It should be twice weekly at that amount and that will be the problem :(

Nitrates are 0 at 25% water change monthly? I think a new nitrate kit is needed too.

I might just add my two cents, since you've got such soft water (ie can't detect KH and GH is lowish) you might wanna consider getting yourself a pH test kit, with soft water there's an increased risk of a pH crash, where the pH dips into the acidic side really quickly. you could also consider buffering your water. I have found the best long-term solution for this is to add crushed coral to the filter, this stuff slowly dissolves and brings up the carbonate hardness that buffers against the pH. :) good luck, hope your fish's fin heals cleanly and quickly

Guest Chicklette

You should have a nitrate reading. It should be kept below 20ppm. It sounds like your tank is not finished cycling. The problems you are having can very well be from cycling. It sounds like you cycled your tank with the fish in it.

Once you get a nitrate reading you tank is fully cycled. I would add some salt to the tank, 1tbs per 10 gallons of water to help with the torn fin. It should heal quickly. If that does not work and if you see it starting to get infected I would add some Melafix but lets see if the salt works first.

Archived