Hurrah!

Petperson04

Yay! I finally got some tank mates for my 5 zebra danios: 5 neon tetras! :D

They seem to be adjusting alright, they still are staying in a really close-knit school. Three of them swam to the other end of the tank, and the other two were clearly confused, and swam off to find them immediatly. LOL

The danios have been going to school with them, then they get bored and flit off.

I took some pictures, but I don't know how to post them! (And yes, I read the thread in the message board help and how-to about that.) Can someone give me more detailed intstuctions, please?

th_IMG_0890.jpg

full tank shot

th_IMG_0884.jpg

the new tetras with a couple fish on the "welcoming commitee"

th_IMG_0888.jpg

Ok, there's the pictures. I just love how bright the tetras are!

Now the tetras have been swimming at the right wall of the tank, practically non-stop. Hopefully it's just a phase, LOL. They ate some fish flakes today, so that's good.

I also got some natural-colored gravel at the pet store, so probably next weekend I'll get rid of the green and blue pieces in there.

Great lookin tank petperson04, looks like you've got some cute fish in there. Be careful changing out the gravel, sometimes it can mess up your cycle and even release some bad stuff into your water. Its generally not recomended unless you really need to.

I wouldn't reccomend it, but if you really don't like the gravel that's in there, then make sure that your filter media is well established. Removing the gravel can disrupt your benneficial bacteria colonies. Don't change anything in the filter for three weeks.

Whatever day you decide to switch the gravel on, top off your tank with dechlorinated water, rinse the new gravel until the water runs clear, siphon tank water into a separate holding tank or tub, and move your fish to minimize their stress.

Unplug the filter and heater and remove the decor, etc from the tank. Scoop out the gravel and put it in a seperate bucket. Use your syphon to remove any debris from the bottom of the tank and that may be floating around. Add the new gravel. Replace the filter, heater, and decor in place and top off your tank with clean dechlorinated water. Do not rinse your decor or do anything to your filter media at all. Add the fish back to the tank and you're good to go.

A couple days later, and then again when you do your next water change, check your params to make sure your cycle hasn't crashed or anything.

Good luck.

Hey, thanks everybody for all the positive feedback about the fish and tank! :) I wasn't sure how my measly 10-gallon would stand up to all the big fancy ones, LOL.

Balashark~ Thanks for the tips. I don't plan on getting rid of ALL the gravel, just the blue and green rocks, so I think that will help ease the stress.

Archived