Bottom Sitting...?

Fish_Fanatic

Ever since i switched my goldies into their new bigger tank, my red oranda george has been sitting on the bottom. He doesnt do it all the time.... he often swims around and looks pretty happy. But he sits on the bottom under a plant ALOT more than my other fish and its starting to worry me.... is there anything i can do for him? and what could be wrong? Is it stress for the tank switch?? ahhhhhhhhhh!

Hmm.... he could be adjusting from the change...... or he could be sick. Someone who has a better answer than me will reply soon, I'm sure.

I would try not to worry too much as long as he doesn't sit all the time, have clamped fins, and he still eats.

Guest Chicklette

Goldfish will sit on the bottom but not for long. Just a quick rest. What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? How often do you clean the tank?

If it is a new tank you are going threw the cycling process. If you are you need to keep a close eye on the water parameters, testing daily, do lots of water changes, feed lightly. If you have an established tank I would use some of the media from there, get a big chunk of gravel put it in a stocking, tie it up and put it in the bottom of the new tank.

I agree with the above wholeheartedly. IT is important to check each and every one of your water parameters. Make sure that the water is pristine.

That done, many fish can carry a load of parsites that their immunities keep enough in check that you may not notice problems. But any time they become stressed, their immunities do not necessarily do the whole job and the parasites opportunisitically can multiply -causing the fish to be additionally stressed - bottom sitting or top hanging, etc.

Different fish have different stress levels - and will display different symptoms at different times.

I would start by examining your water parameters. Check that you have sufficiant "sweet spots" in the tank - a spot where the current is less so the fish can "rest" when it wishes. Check the hours of light you have - if you do not have sufficiant hours of darkness, the fish will decide to sleep even in the daylight - they need their rest.

That done, you may have to look further for a cause.

Archived