New To The Web Site

Guest KathrynO

Guest KathrynO

I am new to this web site and wanted to introduce myself. I got interested in goldfish when I worked in a fish store in high school. I kept a goldfish aquarium for over ten years, but had to get rid of it while some work was being done on my house. For some reason, I never set it up again and ten years passed by. Then, in 2005 I set my tank up and got two orandas - a medium orange one named Jacques-Imo and a large calico named Oscar.

After about a year, Jacques-Imo started having equilibrium problems and couldn't swim upright at all. The guy at the fish store said he had permanent damage from constipation. I started soaking their pellets prior to feeding and gave them some green peas a few times per week. After about a year of living upside down, Jacques-Imo finally started having problems getting to the food and passed away in September 2007.

I decided to get another roommate for Oscar last week and went to the fish store to get a small fish. I couldn't decide between a small solid orange oranda and a small orange and white veiltail so I got both. Oscar is larger than my fist and seems to like his two little friends.

My current set-up is a 20-gallon with an undergravel filter with powerhead and a Whisper power filter. I use a magnet to clean the front and sides, but like the algae growth on the plants, wood, filter tubes, etc.

I found this site yesterday and have been re-educating myself on proper care. I had not been testing my water and was changing 40% once per month. I just went out and got a test - pH was 7.5, no ammonia or nitrite, and nitrate was 5. Even though the numbers look good, I will start changing 25% once per week, especially now that I have added two fish.

I will probably set up a second tank within the next year - at least twice the size. I've never seen the bare bottom tanks and will consider this for my next set-up. There is a lot of new information and I will be asking a lot of questions.

IMG_7244cropped.jpg

Hi and welcome to Kokos you will find lots of helpful information on here, just ask if you want to know anything. Your fish are very pretty, I love your calico oranda, lovely colours. Orandas are my favorite goldy, as you can see in my sig! I agree with love-rabbit-fish, I think the veiltail is a ryukin, but would need a clearer pic to clarify. Very nice fish though.

Guest SeaGull

Hi and Welcome To The Group :D

This is a great group!

Beautiful fish!!!

I noticed you mentioned about feeding your goldies now I am no expert,,,by all means BUT I did notice something strange when I went to a large petstore here in town to get some guppys.

The lady there very friendly and informative one of the few I have ran into at this place,,,she was feeding the HUGE golds and it looked strange to me so I went to take a peek and of course ask.

She was saying how they easily get swimbladder and have problems,,,and of course how they are chow hounds. lol. We are all familiar with that and golds.

I wandered over and asked what are you doing even tho I had a hint that it was feeding time at the fish tanks lol.

She explained to me that she puts the flakes etc,,,,in water, she had this big measuring cup,,a turkey baster, and went from tank to tank squeezing out a baster full of the gunky looking stuff into the middle of the tank from side to side.

She did say that this causes less air in their stomachs,,and keeps them busy looking for food. <exercise>

So hopefully this helps,,on feeding,,as I know my betta has a problem with swimbladder probs, have to keep a good eye on his tummy to determine if he gets any food or less of it.

Have a great day~

Winged and Finned Hugs~

Seagull

<><

Guest KathrynO

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've only had orandas in the past, but am familiar with other types of goldfish. I thought a veiltail resembled an oranda, except with longer fins, no head growth and a slimmer body. I was wondering is mine was really a veiltail as labeled in the store. I think I will call her Sally. Is she a ryukin?

IMG_7232-cropped.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pictures - it sure is hard to get goldfish to pose!

Yep I would say a ryukin, she looks to have a small hump. Veiltails, from what I believe, have no fork in their tail, and it is long. This site has some info on them, http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfi...il/veiltail.htm, and also here on Koks there is a list of goldfish types, http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/ftypes.html. Hope this helps some.

Very nice fish, pretty, bright colours.

Yep, Welcome!! This is a great place & filled with tons of knowledge & helpful people! Make yourself right at home!

Now the tough news! You got one good sized Oranda in a 20 gallon tank with two new roommates.......like most of us that found our way here you have too many fish & not enough water! Goldies really need 10 gals minimum but more is better! Goldies are wonderful fish but are they are very messy!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KathrynO

Thanks again for the warm welcome. There is a typo in my original post; I have a 30-gallon tank, not 20-gallon. I just tested my water and the pH was 7.5, no ammonia or nitrite, and nitrate was 10. The nitrate increased by 5 during the last two weeks since I added the two smaller fish. I will change about 25% of the water and then check the nitrate again just to see the effect.

Kathryn

Archived