Smelly Tank?

gardengirl

I went down to the fish room and there was a funky smell coming from my 75 gallon goldfish tank. I change the water every week, but only like 30% because any more and the filters run dry. I took water samples and ammonia, ph, nitrite, nitrate all tested normal..... No problems there. I shut down the filters and did a big water change -- like over 50% hoping it would be okay.... The dechlor I use is PRIME and that always has a sulfer-like smell to it, but it was the tank that smelled funny......

What would cause smell in a tank like that. I have seven baby fantails growing out in the tank with two Penguin Bio-Wheels Filters on it. (All are less than the size of a ping pong ball right now). There are also three tiny otos for algae control, and one quarter-sized mystery snail that hitchhiked in on a plant..... Water Change every week at 30% and filter media rinsed weekly. Media changes every two to to four weeks alternating each filter......

It was SO WIERD!!! Any ideas?

Hmm, this is strange. Everyone appears healthy in the tank? Peek at the snail, make sure he is alive and well. They smell BAD when they die. No rotting food left in the tank? I wish I could think of something else to help... You're sure it is from this tank and not another? Hopefully someone else will post with a better idea. :)

The snail was alive and trucking along the bottom of the tank. No problem there. I did a big water change, rinsed the media and the tank smells fine now. I was worried that one of the otos had died, but I didn't see a body. Go figure. You never know, lol.... The "seven dwarfs" are doing really well and schooling all over the tank after the water change, but they weren't acting funny before it either....

I did notice a big bunch of anacharis on one side of the tank. It had grown thick and was all over the surface on that side of the tank. Maybe it was impeding flow from the filter? I shook it out in the water and netted up any debris that floated free.... I still have no clue though. :unsure:

• Admin

you did good by checking the water quality. Normally thats the problem, but you did it good and right, good tip though when it smells again like that put new carbon in the tank if the water quality is normal, that will get rid of the smell :D

Be careful with mixing goldfish and otos. If the goldfish are big enough to fit the otos in their mouth, they may try to eat them, and the fin spines of the oto will stick in the mouth of the goldfish, sometimes causing the death of both fish. Same applies to other small spiny fish like corys and sticklebacks.

Guest Chicklette

Check to see if the smell is coming from the decorations. If there are holes in the decorations for fish to go in sometimes that starts to stink and it needs a good cleaning. Just pick up the decoration and sniff it. I had a fish die in there once and the smell was so nasty.

Archived