D:< I Dislike Relatives Right Now!

Earth!Mother

So my mother kicked me out of my room so my grandparents could sleep in there...Well I went in this morning to feed her to find that her filter had been taken out of her tank and unplugged, as well as the other things that were on the extension cord like her bubblers(they were still in the tank). In their place was a lamp from my desk sitting right next to her tank lit. UGH. Some people just do not understand.

That's messed up. Similar thing happened to me recently. I went out of town for a week for Christmas, and when I got back I saw that my roommate had unplugged everything for one of my GF tanks and my tub full of tropicals! I was especially worried about the tropicals since they had no heater for at least 4 days, and the apartment temp was set down to about 65. Luckily there were no fish fatalities, but I was very annoyed at my roommate.

Maybe ur grandparents can have some soft music playing when they go to bed to drown out the aquarium sounds... and put a blanket over the tank if they really need the light on.

I understand why they took all that apart, however, it should have been discussed with you, Earthmother. The grandparents weren't used to the sound, my guess would be. But since its essential for the fish and their health, it would have been fair to talk to you about it, and maybe find a temporary space for the tank someplace else while your grannies sleep in your room.

That is not right, the fish might need that filter, I know it would be hard for your grandparents, they wil lget headache for it. But I think maybe you guy can do some tlaking, maybe they can go to another room or something I dont know, just hope the fish is ok

Yea, my grandma from the Philippines for 6 months a year, In that time I don't get possesion of my room, and she always puts her stuff in front of all my tank areas. :krazy: Its infuriating I feel for ya.. but don't worry ya can't stay mad at relatives forever, or can you?

Glad your fish were okay, maybe keep an eye on params if the filter was off all night. Try to have a calm word with your mum or grandparents and explain to them that your fish need the filter on all the time. My guess would be that the bubblers would make too much noise for them at night which could be why they turned them off.

Were they only staying for one night, or longer? At least they will know for next time.

Guest Halloween

My dad used to rent out my room over the holiday season (when we'd have people over) so all the redneck brat children in the extended redneck hillbilly family had somewhere congregate and no doubt brew mischief and Staph infections. It wouldn't be so bad you know, toddlers grow out of that disgusting dirty phase and become a little more clean but I have a certain cousin that is the equivalent of a brood mare and she just keeps having babies so there's never a shortage of sticky, dirty, welfare hands infecting my stuff with Campylobacter and Rotavirus.

But I hear you about abuse to your fish. My mom threatened me once for something I can't even remember. Said she was going to unplug my bubble walls and filters if I didn't knock some attitude or behavior off. I was like; 'Bring.... It.... I DARE you.... to try and mess with my fish. You don't EVER threaten to disturb something alive and innocent to punish someone for something that's irritating you.'

I am happy to report there have been no disturbances to my bubble walls and filters due to human aggression.

The only advice I can give you is to confront them very seriously about how upset it makes you when something as innocent as a goldfish's health has to be compromised for a lamp (or whatever). Hope all goes well.

They were only staying for one night, though I informed my grandparents and mother this morning that the next time they visit they may use my room only if they agree to never move plugs out of the outlets again, because my fish are extremely! important to me. If they cannot abide they will need to find somewhere else to stay. Tank params are fine, I did a 40% water change today anyway just to be safe with her. :] Athena is my pride and joy, I'm glad there are plenty of other people who feel the same way I do about fish. >_<!

I am glad this was discussed rationally with your parents and grandparents and that a future compromise has been decided upon. Perhaps you can help, too, with, as suggested by Pumpkinpatch, a blanket and some understanding.

It is requested that others calm down just a bit. Please make sure that this thread remains civil.

Life is full of all kinds of people with all kinds of opinions and needs. The grandparents here were ignorent of the fish's needs - not evil or deliberately seeking to injure the fish. Understanding and information is the best solution. Issuing ultimatums or threats will not work.

Archived