Fish On A Plane

Guest ThRtst

Guest ThRtst

I'm moving across country and was going to drive, but am going to go the moving pod route instead and fly myself (cheaper that way). And an air trip is much shorter. A pet friendly airline based here in WA, does allow fish on the plane, even in the cabin, but is it safe to take goldies on an airplane? I imagine that the fish raised in Thailand and brought to the US aren't put on a boat, they probably fly by air, but I worry about a rupture of their swim bladder. The airline's website says tropical fish, but I imagine they specify tropical to mean small aquarium fish, not koi or anything large. The recommendation they give is to bag the fish and keep it in a plastic container. Has anyone here safely flown with goldfish before, and are my worries totally unfounded? I'm going from nearly sea level in Washington up to DIA in Colorado, and sometimes you see stuff in the grocery store like ballooned up bags of chips that encountered a change in air pressure. One website says to leave a bit of slack in the bag for any expansion of air. I really want to take them with me. Thanks! Cody

The recommendation they give is to bag the fish and keep it in a plastic container. Has anyone here safely flown with goldfish before, and are my worries totally unfounded? I'm going from nearly sea level in Washington up to DIA in Colorado, and sometimes you see stuff in the grocery store like ballooned up bags of chips that encountered a change in air pressure. One website says to leave a bit of slack in the bag for any expansion of air. I really want to take them with me. Thanks! Cody

Email Ken at Dandy Orandas and get his advice: www.dandyorandas.com

I have flown fish in a private airplane - to about 20000 feet - but the air pressure is still an issue. Fish are flown all around the world with few problems. It is all in the packing.

Use oxygen when filling your bags. Get good strong bags and double bag the fish. Put only one fish per bag if you can. Fill with 100% clean water and add a dollop of Prime. (Fast for a few days ahead, too). Fill the bag only as deep so as to cover the fish's dorsal fin. The less water to slosh the better - and the more space for oxygen. Fill the bag the rest of the way with oxygen. Do NOT fill and tie it tight. Instead leave the bag less than tight. The airpressure will cause the bag to fill out and tighten up without popping.

Put the bag in another bag and seal that one, too. Then place the bags in a plastic container. Your fish are good for about 24 hours.

Good luck. I think you are lucky to have found an airline that will allow them. Any liquids - fish or otherwise are NOT allowed in most cabins I know. They go in luggage and take their chances with squashage, freezing and other dangers. I got a pilot I knew to bring one once - in the cockpit, and all was good, but these days that may even be an impossibility.

(At least you do not have to worry about other passengers claiming allergies at the last minute and bumping you off!!!!)

Guest KathrynO

Did you speak with someone at the airline and the airport about taking fish on the plane? I am surprised they would let you do this with the current liquid restrictions. Please verify with both the airline and the airport. The last thing you want is to have to open the bags at the security checkpoint and repackage them without being able to add oxygen, or possibly have to leave the fish there as you continue your journey.

Archived