Are Pellets Necessary?

Earth!Mother

I have sinking aqueon goldfish pellets which I hate feeding to my ryukin. She is a floaty fish, and easily constipated. I'll notice after feeding these that her poop will trail longer than necessary. This is why I hardly ever feed pellets and I am worried she is not getting everything she needs in her diet. I do soak the pellets for atleast 5 minutes, too... sometimes longer, if I get sidetracked. >_<!

I rotate her diet between the following:

Peas

Orange

Kale

Brine Shrimp (new to her diet)

Zuchini

Banana

The occasional half of an algae wafer

Dried Blood worms

Freeze dried tubifex worms

And she has lots of live plants to nibble on as well as algae.

I was planning on making a gel food that was suggested. But I'm wondering if she is being underfed?

I feed her three times a day or more, normally small amounts. Is she getting enough of the right stuff or should I add a few pellets to her diet?

Edited by Earth!Mother

I would try different types of sinking pellets. Hikari Lionhead is not bad. I use New Life Spectrum (NLS) exclusively and they are doing great on it. I have found NLS to be the best food out there and it truly is complete and balanced. The important thing about pellets is that in addition to the macronutrients provided with most other 'whole' or 'natural' foods, they also provide the necessary micronutrients and trace elements that even highly varied more 'natural' diets do not always include.

But I'm wondering if she is being underfed?

I feed her three times a day or more, normally small amounts.

I feed mine once per day....and while cycling, once every 3 days. You are definately not underfeeding...I'd be worried about overfeeding. :rofl

A variety is necessary to include meats, veggies, and fruits.....and with fish prone to floatiness, gel foods seem to stop it.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll figure it out soon.

Lmao, I should be worried, Lolafish. She's has her antics and I am beginning to suspect she knows more about bribing than she lets on. :P It's funny, I can hardly resist her splashing and wiggling around near the top waiting for meals.

I'd been reading that it was better to feed small portions throughout the day. So I've been trying it. :] And I'll look for NLS at the store next time I'm in, Fishguy! Thanks for the advice.

edit: Oh and I had tried a pure pea gel food, Lola... She did NOT appreciate it. :rofl And I really did not appreciate it either. :P

Edited by Earth!Mother

i feed my guys hikari lionhead and it is very good product they love i would recommend it to you to try but they also get gel food, and lots of fruit and veges. I have heard of new life spectrum being good but have never seen it in Oz so not sure about that pro gold is one of the best goldfish foods on the market you can get it from goldfish connection. Also while this is not a pellet or a flake not exactly sure what it is lol i have heard great things about a product called cyclop-eeeze don't know if it available in the states though

Edited by dan in aus

They are more used to small frequent feedings. It is better for their digestive system. Feeding frequency doesn't mean they are over or under fed, that depends on how much is being fed each time.

I wasn't insinuating the OP was overfeeding her fish. I was being sarcastic. ;)

I've had a lot of success with Hikari lionhead, and I've recently started feeding progold. I like it, but it's very 'crumbly' so I find it can break apart easily, the goldies don't seem too fond of it either.

The gel food is a good idea, you can always put your pellets in there along with other ingredients.

• Admin

i find placing pellets in to gel food is the best way, this way all the air is out and like chrissy said u can add alot of other things to the food :D

Omega One is the best commerial fish food I've seen. Hikari is next. Most of the other fish food brands you find at the pet stores are junk. I haven't seen New Life Spectrum so I can't comment on it. Pro gold is a private label goldfish food.

Omega One is not better, period. When I was looking through some of their different foods I found artifical colors and multiple preservatives. NLS has ethoxyquin which is a preservative, but they do not add it. It is in all fish meals by law and they simply admit it is in there. I emailed Omega One a couple weeks ago about these concerns and have not received any response.

Omega One is much better. It has whole samon, whole herring, whole shrimp, fresh kelp. Omega One doesn't use fish meal. NLS has one maybe two good ingredients other than that it's not much better than other fish foods.

Omega One has ethoxyquin in it, So what. All processed fish, pet and human foods have preservatives in it. If you don't want preservatives make your own fish foods or feed them live foods.

NLS has ethoxyquin which is a preservative, but they do not add it.

Like you say NLS has ethoxyquin in it. So you can't say Omega One isn't as good because it has ethoxyquin in it when NLS does too.

Have you tried NLS? The results achieved with it are superior to any food or diet out there. Their website has an enormous amount of information on it explaining the food. It also explains the results achieved (such as highly specialized feeders like moorish idols and other marine fish thriving on NLS EXCLUSIVELY) with this food. In addition there are many testimonials form people who use it.

Does Omega One add the ethoxyquin and the other preservative(s) or are they part of the meals they use? If they are only parts of the meals then that is one thing.

I do not buy foods with added colors. This shows they are simply advertising to the person buying it. A person expects a veggie flake to be green. So guess what, artifical colors.

Do you feed Omega One exclusively?

And live food is just a good way to introduce pathogens. In addition they are nutritionally incomplete and increase aggression.

Edited by Fishguy2727

Omega One doens't use meals. Fishmeals and other meals have little value. Omega One uses fresh ingredients. That alone makes Omega One better than any fish food that uses meals. Fish food that uses meals are junk no matter what they claim.

I feed my big fish omega one exclusively the smaller ones I'm also feeding hikari until I use it up then they will also be fed Omega One exclusively. Fry are raised on newly hatched brine shrimp and earthworms. These live foods don't have pathogens.

• Admin

sorry but i make my own food, I like to know exactly what i feed my fish and from photos of my fish you will see how big they are and healthy they are. So i guess its your opinion vs others, every tried to make your own or progold?

NLS does not use by-products. They use whole herring, whole krill, and whole squid.

It has also been proven to prevent HLLE and HITH when fed exclusively. In addition, it has even been shown to reverse these when they have already developed because the fish were previously fed insufficient diets.

In addition to this, fatty liver disease and problems with too much fat deposits in other organs have been shown to be a major problem with fish. Of course we effectively never get necropsies done on any fish. So all these fish that die of 'old age' (actually much shorter than their full potential), minor changes made recently in the tank, or unknown reasons may very well be due to prolonged improper diet. NLS keeps fat down to only 5%, too little to have excess which will be excessively deposited in the fish. All the Omega One foods I just checked on their site have 10-14% fat. Omega fatty acids are included as something that can cause these excess fat deposits. Too much of anything is a bad thing. And it seems Omega One and many other foods have exceeded the safe values for fat.

I think anyone who cares enough about their fish to feel so strongly about any diet should read the nutrition article on NLS's website.

Just about every living thing on this planet does better when it has a variety in its diet. Variety - meaning a little of all kinds of things. Goldfish are onmiverous - meaning they eat just about everything. They need/want/eat vegetables and meat and starch, etc.

In an ideal world, your fish would have a constant supply of fresh plants to graze on and unceasing supply of dead/dying insects fallilng on the water. Since we keep indoor tanks, we need to emulate this diet.

MAny goldfish pellets are diets that are designed to copy this natural need of the fish. Most have been carefully formulated such that they come as close to the perceived needs of the fish as the people making it can determine. The recipe differs from processed food to processed food because each set of makers have different understandings of the fish's needs. YOu can also find different recipes for different fish needs or times of the year. In the fall, breeders do better with a high level of protien - copying the natural diet of insects dying in the fall. In the spring, greens are perhaps better. Some foods are made to address these needs. In this respect, there are very few foods that are "perfect" year round. Mixing them up is still the best idea.

ProGold happens to be a VERY good food. I feed it as a major staple in my fish's diets. But I also feed NLS and Hikari and fresh greens and homemade gel foods and fruits. I try to vary the diet - the more different things you feed, the better chance is that you will cover all the nutritional needs of the fish.

Many of you have foods that you particularly like - the fish do well on it, it is readily available where you are, it is easy to feed, etc. etc. That is fine - GREAT in fact. Just realize that not all people/fish are exactly the same.

:)

The goal is a complete and balanced diet. That means all the vital nutrients in the right proportions. Variety is not a nutrient. It is not needed. Most prepared foods are not complete or balanced. In the past this meant you needed variety to achieve the real goal of a complete and balanced diet. If you can achieve this in one food (which NLS has proven to be complete and balanced diet) there is no need to vary it at all as you have achieved the real goal of a complete and balanced diet.