How Do We Know If The Fry Is A Show Quality?

alanworm

In about how old will you be able to tell how good of a quality it is and worth raising?? simply how do you tell? what are the signs?

i've heard 1 out of many goldfish u find a show quality or winner? but i don't know what is the standard to pick out one of these guys...

i know there will be many deformed ones ..how to minimize it as well???

Each breed of a goldfish has been given a "standard" by which they are judged. The "perfect" fish does not exist - but the closer they are to the standard, the more "perfect" they are. Just as a golden retriever or a pug or a bischon in dogs is held to a certain description of what their breed should look like, the fish are too.

For example (golly, I wish I still had my copy of the US standards - gotta get it back) in the UK standards, a "Fantail" is decribed as:

Depth of Body: greater than 3/5 body length

Caudal Fin: divided and forked and held above the horizontal

Dorsal Fin - single, all other fins paired

Extremities of fins slightly rounded

Minimum body length - 2 1/4" (55mm)

The fish will be bright and alert. Body will be short (not elongated) with a smooth outline.

Caudal fin to be held high without drooping, also to look fan shaped when viewed from the rear.

CAudal fin to be well divided

Quality fish will have high intensity colour extending into the fins.

Coulour - metallic group, self coulours as listed in points table

Varigated - any combination of the listed colours in a pleasing pattern and siminlar on each side.

Calio groups - blue background with patches of violet, red, orange, yellow, and brown, spotted with black.

All proportions must approximate to the drawing.

There are lists of points.

This is a simple example. A more "complicated" breed will have more requirements. The standards in the US are slightly different as they are elsewhere. But by and large, the fish has to exhibit certain things and NOT have others - must be stable in the water and an all around pleasant fish to look at.

When culling fry, you may notice fry from the first day that are not "made right". Some breeders are even capable of doing some culling before hatching - with a microscope and a light - looking for dorsal fins on fry that should not have dorsals. That is a easy feature to check for. Fins that are where they should not be, fins that are not where they should be. Eyes that are not where they should be. Bent backs or humps. All these flaws are quite apparent at about 1 week of age.

As the fish grow, each week you can sort through them and pick out ones that have obvious flaws - only one tail fork, no tail split, etc. I only have experience with Ryukins, RAnchu, Lionhead and Phoenix, but I found that I could see the show potential in the Ryukin by 4-5 week of age. The ones that were, perhaps, petstore quality were a bit harder to id - and the others were culled. I generally have three tanks - And sort the fry into the tanks. I put the "Show" possibilites in one tank, the "Store Quality" in another and the "culls" in the third. Except for obvious flaws - like missing or extra fins, etc. the culls are usually given a week or so to impress me. If they fail to, they are culled. Fish can move from one tank to another during the time between culls as I see things I like or do not like.

To get a line of fish that breeds successfully with a large percentage of "good" babies, you need to have fish that are genetically compatible. A lot of this is luck - particularly when you are just beginning. It is nearly impossible to purchase really good fish from overseas that are genetically good matches. You simply do not know what you are getting. I am in only the third generation of line breeding - and am STILL getting a great diversity. I hope to cross my line back again to create still more viable babies. The Blue Phoenix that I have are the result of line breeding - I was lucky and got 3 closely related parents. THus, I had about 60% viable babies. The fry (and parents) are NOT show quality, though. They still need work. \

Mechanical damage is one other area where you can greatly affect the quality of your fry. Make sure that they are grown out using the best of foods and excellent water quality. Water volume is important. Many fry can be severely damaged by movement - either you scooping them or moving them, or too fast currents or filter accidents, etc. So prepare your fry hatching/growout tanks carefully and you will minimize this type of damage.

I hope this helps some...... ???

wow this is very detailed .. it helps alot..i understand alot more now... i was wondering if you can find the us goldfish standard for me so i can be more educated on it because i actually want to start breeding my own lionheads or ranchu's ... currently i have a red cap and a lemon head oranda .. i was wondering if u know what there babies will be like?? they are starting to chase each other but i hvn't seen any breeding stars yet.....

That is fascinating information from daryl! I never knew culling could be done before the eggs hatch- that is just incredible. And I must check if my fish have rounded ends to their fins! I never noticed that detail.

Alanworm goodluck with your breeding plans. The lemonhead in your sig is gorgeous.