Placing Fish In New Tank

Quasi

I started to cycle my big tank a few days, so it probably is a bit early. When moving fish into a newly cycled tank, do you start with the biggest fish or the smallest fish that you gonna transfer?

It shouldn't matter if all the fish were together in the previous tank :unsure: I think.

I would start with the boldest most fearless one :)

I agree - it should not make a difference. However, with each addition, I like to "switch things up" - moving the decor around a bit - moving the bubblers and the plants and rocks and such. That way, each fish has a "new" environment to learn - the newbie and the present resident are each faced with learning a new place. This takes away the "territorial" aspect that sometimes occurs (rarely).

This takes away the "territorial" aspect that sometimes occurs (rarely).

That's a good suggestion. Sumo is my largest, most aggressive, bolder one.....(can't use just one adjective to describe him, he's a unique one!) so when I put him into the 55 last night with the others (after moving Oscar first) I did it right before bedtime and with one of the overhead lights off - normally he swims around swiftly, bumping into the other fish as if they didn't exist, acting like he's the only one that matters. When I prepared the tank though (also moving some plants and rocks around), he acted like a timid little child away from home for the first time. It worked! (this morning though...he's back to his antics)

When I get the 125 up and cycled, he'll be first into the tank - to give everyone else a break from him. :rofl

Then I think Godzilla will go in first. She is not territorial at all and then she will get a bit more food when she is alone. As soon as I rise the lid to feed them everyone comes to me, exept ... Godzilla. It still hasn't dawned on her that I give food. So know I'm putting on the tank lights when its feeding time, so she will learn to associate it with food.

I think Godzilla is so used to looking for food on the bottom during those 2 years that she was neglected, that she has difficulty learning new things :(

Archived