Rena Canister Or Fluval?

So I am strapped for cash currently until I pay for my 2nd semester books and still trying to figure out a set-up in my dorm room that will allow me to bring my 38 gallon tank to school since I only live 30 minutes away. I want to see my babies all the time :D

Reguardless I still want a low level canister Fluval 105 or Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Filstar XP 1 Canister Filter because I don't have a lot of money on a college budget, but when money comes my way I want one of the two. I want to know which works best in your guys opinion? I want the extra BB and canisters can provide that, which I need especially if I am not by my 38 gallon all the time. I am afraid of an ammonia spike or something.

Which filter should I go with?

Also what kind of meia should I get?

With these lower end canisters how many slots are there for media?

Should I get different things?

Any input would be amazing.

When I purchase the canister I also want to change around my HOB filter set-up on my 2 tanks.

What I currently have:

Currently on my 20 gallon I have:

Whisper 20 - 125gph

and

AquaTech Power Filter 5-15 (which I think is a Whisper 10) - 100gph

= 225gph, but would like more.

On my 30 gallon I have:

Whisper 30 - 145pgh

and

Aqueon 30 - 200gph

= 345gph, which obviously isn't enough for the size tank

What I WANT to do:

On the 20:

Whisper 20 - 125gph

and

Whisper 30 - 145gph

= 270gph, which is a 45gph increase

On the 30:

Aqueon 30 - 200gph

+

Emporer 280 - 280gph

= 480 gph

Also either a Fluval 105 or Rena XP1 and than change the power depending on how much fish handle.

Let me know how the HOB filter situation sounds.

Thanks for any input.

Brandon

Who have you talked to? I have never once heard anyone give the Fluvals a 'crap' rating.

Fluvals are better than Rena. How much better is the only debate. Renas are cheaper and some suffer the fate of 'you get what you pay for'.

I have used Fluvals for about 9 years with very little problems (have to replace an impeller or a latch, but nothing big). This is not that I have one and lucked out and it is great. I have about 10 and they are all either in use or not needed right now. I like the trays in the Fluvals a lot better. They are deeper so I can cram in the polyester pillow stuffing I use as a fine mechanical/polishing media. Shorter trays don't allow you to really cram it in, which is needed to get the best use out of it.

Definitely go with a Fluval.

They are deeper so I can cram in the polyester pillow stuffing I use as a fine mechanical/polishing media. Shorter trays don't allow you to really cram it in, which is needed to get the best use out of it.

What's so wonderful about the Rena :rofl , (such a Rena v/Fluval debate going on here!), is that their solidly built trays can be used by themselves, or with these dividers that come with them....I honestly do not see the Fluvals with deeper trays than my Rena. ;)

I wouldn't divide the trays and put one media in one side and one in the other. That means some water is being cleaned or treated one way while water that goes the other route is treated and cleaned differently. Thsi may not be a big deal, but only one can be the best way.

Renas are not bad, but they are not better than Fluvals. And Fluvals are far from crappy. That is my main point. My Fluvals as said are lasting. I have never had to replace a single one.

alot of people on this site give the fluvals a crap ratings i don't have one but my cousin does and he reckons they are poorly made pieces of crap. Go Rena they have many positive reviews

While my Rena would always be my choice. I would not go so far to say that fluvals are crap. Mine was just really hard to start up. The Rena needs no priming and is so so easy to get going.

as i said that is my cousins opinion not mine i don't have one but if you read some of the posts on the board many people said they are really bad even koko told me steer clear when i bought my canister

Have they supported these claims? I would like to know what problems people are having. The only issues I ever hear is that they can be relunctant to start up after cleaning. All that is needed for that is to fill them before hooking them back up. That is what I do and at most I sit there for two minutes and mess with it while it gets going again. And they are far from poorly made. What few minor improvements needed to be made in the older lines have been taken care of now in the 05 line.

Archived