I'm Moving Up In The Fast Food World

IloveSpaceboy

So, I am going to start training to be a Team Leader, basically the lowest form of manager, but still it's a step up from crew member. I won't have to wear a hat, I get a nifty card that gets me into the manager functions and I can deal out discounts, lol. Oh and I get free food! And also a raise (I think). I also have more responsibility but I think I can do it. I already know how just about everything is run and know how to do most of the manager tasks. The whole thing is going to be proving myself to my manager while not making everyone else hate me. I'm pretty easy going though and I don't care if people goof off a little and socialize as far as everything we need to do gets done. *deep breath* This is going to be interesting. I have a workbook that I have to start working on now as well.

So, I would like some feedback from everyone here. What would you look for from a manager? Keeping in mind I don't have a say over what they make or the hours they are scheduled. Anything would help, thanks guys.

I agree fairness without favoritism would top my list for a manager. And not shouting. There's nothing worse than shouting coming from a person who we are supposed to look up to, repect and who will lead -in any job. If someone shouts at me, (unless I am about to step out in front of a car lol), that's it, they lose my respect (until they apologise). Be firm without shouting but don't be too rigid on decisions because times and situations change and often rules and decisions have to grow and change to fit them.

I'm beginning to sound like a Mother with teenagers so I'll stop :)

I think you'll do great. You're very thoughtful and can probably therefore see things from everyones p.o.v which is a big advantage in a people job like this.

Free meals- how cool!!! And very useful, that's one perk of the food trade :thumbup:

I don't know that I can tell you how to be a manager in a quick post, so I'll not have a go at it.

However, I think it's great your efforts are appreciated. Congratulations.

Hi MB!

Congratulations on the job promotion! :exactly My hubby is a manager at a steak house, so I asked him what he would look for in a manager.

He said that the number one thing would be a willingness to learn and take on responsibility. Have the initiative to learn all the aspects of the different work areas, so you can be put in place of anyone - should they call in sick or in a rush. He called it "cross training", and said that it will make you a very valuable employee.

It is also very important to tell the other employees that they are doing a good job. Everyone likes a pat on the back!

As for jealousies from other co-workers, just stay humble and tell them that they could easily learn the job, too. Don't feel that any job is below you - and help anywhere if needed.

Hubby often comes home and says that he felt like he was babysitting all day, with squabbles between workers. As others have said, listen to both sides and be fair. You can also be thankful that you have a manager higher up for things you're not sure of. :rolleyes:

Good luck!!!

Debbie

The one thing that I thought of was, never ever EVER scold your employees in front of Patrons or other employees. Its embarrasing and makes you look like a jerk. Take them to an office if you need to talk with them.

I used to be a Manager at a Video store, and I hated it when other managers did that to the CSR's.

Ooh and patience, you have to have infinate patience. That was one that I struggled with a lot. People are just people, you have to forgive them for their weird faults.

Also like Fishy-Fish said, no job should ever be beneath you. If your there and the guy that usually cleans up tables is out sick and your overrunn, grab a wet towel and do it yourself WITHOUT COMPLAINT. Employees will respect you more and do what you ask if you are willing to be a part of a team as well as the leader of the team.

We had one employee at the video store, that would only do what I told her to do because the other managers would stand around and dictate to her. I basicly came in, said this needs to be done tonight, you take this, Ill take this, lets go! If I took 5 minutes to stand and catch my breath, so did she. One of the best employees that I ever had, everyone else said she was the worst, I think it was because they were on a power trip though.

People were MAD when I got the manager position over someone who had been there 4 years. I just shrugged my shoulders, waited for her to cool down and sat and talked with her one on one. I had no intention of stealing her promotion, she had gone off and cussed out a customer one night, hence the reason she didn't get it. So we talked and now we are really good friends! I still chat with her and see her all the time.

Above all things, remember your priorities and don't be a jerk!

I work at Jack In The Box.

I would never feel that any position is below me. The only time I ask a co-worker if they can do something is if I'm already doing something else and they're just standing around. So many times I have been the only one working just because everyone else (manager included) was goofing off because it was slow and most things were stocked. I can't stand to stand around or goof off too long (more than 5 minutes) if I'm on the clock. I am one of the few people at the store who knows how to do every position. I have been told I have great customer service so those positions are easy for me, fryers I'm really good at, grill is where I'm stuck most often (that or drive, lol) and assembly is weird for me when there is someone on grill, but when I do both on my own I'm pretty quick and accurate. I'm one of the few in the store who do prep correctly and know all the dates on things without the sheet, lol. It's just going to be interesting being the manager over the teenagers, cause they can be crazy difficult sometimes. I think I can do it, so I'm not too worried and I'll be sure to keep the power-trip in check, though I hope it won't be a problem.

Thank you everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Guest Halloween

Funny is good. Be able to relate to the ones below you. People below manager positions naturally like to rip on higher ups! Maybe you and the people below you can still rip on the ones higher up than you, you know what I mean? But I think being funny is most important. You can control the system a lot easier when you're friends with everyone, rather than hated by everyone. As quoted from SLC Punk "You can do a lot more damage inside the system, than out of it" haha. Good luck and I hope the people below you are fair to you as well!!! I've had jobs where I was the lowest on the pole and also where I was a little higher up and had others work for me. Fair and funny is best!!

Thank you for that. I try to get along with everyone cause there is enough drama there without me being part of it, lol. Also, something else that I have been trying to do as happened. I went and turned in my application for Burger King this afternoon. The Assistant Manager wanted to talk to me this evening when I got off work. I went down there, we talked, and we talked to another manager as well. I'm hired! Monday I go in to get put into the computer. They are even contemplating hiring me as a Shift Leader, aka manager from the start basically. So far, minus my major money issues this month, 2008 is shaping up to be pretty good. WOOT! Oh and between the two jobs I should be making about $800 every two weeks! That's $1600 a month which is more than enough to get all my debts paid, all my credit cards good AND SAVE UP FOR A CAR!!! I'm so excited!!!

I work at Jack In The Box.

There are no Jack in the Box in CT or anywhere in the vicinity. Yet I see their commercials all the time on TV, :rolleyes:

I want to go to a Jack in the Box! :(

I guess you'll have to go to Idaho then! At least you know the fries will be fresh!! :rofl

Archived