How Many Fancy Tailed Goldfish In A 55 Gallon Tank?

Guest Julie

Hi all, I have an empy 55-gallon tank that, when I can do so, I want to make a goldfish tank. I plan to get the twin-tailed variety - Ryukins, Orandas, Pearlscales, etc. How many twin tails can I reasonably and safely house in that size tank? I was thinking along the lines of 5. I want as many as I can, but I don't want to overstock at all. Also, is there any size difference between those varieties that I mentioned? That would make a difference, too. The only kind I want to avoid are the Black Moors, not because I don't love them but because the tank has a black background with black gravel and I would never be able to see the poor guy. Thanks!

I'd say 4-5 fancies would be fine. I think the general rule for goldfish is 10 gallons per fish, but it might be more than 10 for a fancy goldfish.

Hi all, I have an empy 55-gallon tank that, when I can do so, I want to make a goldfish tank. I plan to get the twin-tailed variety - Ryukins, Orandas, Pearlscales, etc. How many twin tails can I reasonably and safely house in that size tank? I was thinking along the lines of 5. I want as many as I can, but I don't want to overstock at all. Also, is there any size difference between those varieties that I mentioned? That would make a difference, too. The only kind I want to avoid are the Black Moors, not because I don't love them but because the tank has a black background with black gravel and I would never be able to see the poor guy. Thanks!

Hi Julie!..Julie here too..lol..I would go with no more than 4 at the max..Those types of goldies can still grow very large :) .. 10gpf 20gpf is best.. for 5 you would need 100g tank.. They are messy eaters and produce tons of waste..if you had 5 you would want to do frequent wc's and have many filters..

I think I will try four. While I enjoy water changes, doing multiple ones on a 55-gallon is back-breaking. I usually go overboard with the filtration, so if I stay with just four I will really be in the driver's seat, I think. Thanks for the advice!

Oooh. Ryukins and Pearlscales are my favorites! Enjoy them greatly, they're so cute and grow massive. My little ryukin, Athena has grow a lot in the past 6 months that I have had her. I wish I had measured her when I had gotten her, then I would be able to tell the exact difference now.

Really to me it depends on your filterration. If all you have is one standard filter then 2 or 3 at the most. But if you have the correct filteration (550 gph or more) then 3 or 4. But only get 4 if you plan to put nothing else in the tank. Unless your going to be able to upgrade to a bigger tank.

One other thing to consider is the compatability of the fish you wish to mix. Pearlscales are very slow and wobbly swimmers, putting them at a disadvantage to the fast swimming oranda when it's feeding time. If you want to have them together you will just have to ensure that they get enough food - divide the tank at feeding time or hand feed the slower fish while the fast ones forage.

Exciting to be setting up a new tank. You probably know not to add them all at once, right? Will you do a fishless cycle or seed the filter from another tank?

Your water params dictate how many fish per gallon, as well as filtration. Since I am in the middle of a cycling mess right now, I have 6 total (2 fantails, 3 orandas, 1 ranchu) in my 55. But when the dust has settled, I'm keeping two only in it. Prolly the fantails. I have 1250 gph filtration on it right now to handle the extra bio load.

Archived