'wen' Things Go Wrong

Guest Nottingham

Guest Nottingham

I am in need of some serious suggestions. When I bought my little lionhead 'Lambert' back in April, he was probably about 1.5" long with no wen to speak of. Fast forward to now, he's at least 5 inches long and his wen is out of control. It's grown over at least one eye and I think it may be weighing down on his gills because all he does anymore is hang out at the bottom of the tank. I feel terrible that I've let it get this bad but I didn't know what to do. I've found instructions online detailing the wen trimming process and in no way do I feel capable to do it. I know of no one who would be able to do it either. Unfortunately a vet call for the goldfish is financially out of the question, especially this close after christmas and right before the start of the new semester (those books be stupidly overpiced). I don't think there are any vets in the area that would do this sort of thing anyhow.

It makes me sick to think that this poor little guy is suffering. Am I just prolonging the inevitable?

yes, sometime those fish will have hard tiem breathing because it will grow over their gills and eyes. It will have hard time taking in oxygen. and to eb honest that is what I know, because the wen will develope well and that will happen. I dont know what you can do to help it except I guess provide aot of oxygen in its tank

I think you definately have to trim the wen. I've never done it before, but i think it shouldn't be too hard. It will heal itself after you trim it..... maybe someone else can give you some really good instructions on that!

Guest ThRtst

Ave,

I've never done this procedure before either, and would definitely feel a little sqeamish as well, but in times like these I recommend the old Nike slogan. Just do it. The wen trimming procedure is detailed on this website, and it is possible to sedate the fish, which greatly reduces it's stress. You also want to be sure that hold the fish down VERY GENTLY, so as not to rupture or crush them.

Wen trimming

Sedation

Remember, your fishy loves you!

Vale, Cody

gosh if I have to do that with my lionhead, he will hates me forever.... lol I might be so scare I might trim one side more than the other and it would look ugly then it would blame me, and even worse if it get an infection lol

Most of the time wen trimming isnt nessasary unless the fish is at risk for health problems.. often the wen will grow to such extream where it covers the gills and makes it hard for breathing.. as far as the eyes, if this is the only problem such trimming isn't nessasary.. Before you actually decide to trim lets make certain he's not laying at the bottom for other reasons.. Have you tested all water parms to make sure thats all good? :)

THere's also a good detailed article with some graphic photos of the wen trimming process. I was curious and thought I'd do some research. just look up "wen trimming" in google and you'll find it (I don't think I can post a link to another forum). Check it out, it's pretty neat and reading/seeing the pics made me feel a LITTLE better about if ever I have to do the procedure.

But yeah, I agree with Jewels that you should rule out any other possible reasons for Lambert's odd behavior.

I agree with Jewels! Lets look at ALL the other possible problems before you go chopping away on the wen. There are some people on this form that have goldies with big ole wens & no problems. The bottom sitting seems like a problem stemming from something else. Post ALL the info you can about your tank, cleaning schedule & what ever. Lest's see what we can come up with! THEN worry about that trimming idea....whew.....I would NOT want to attempt that!!

Hello Nottingham and welcome to the board - I have to say I would never follow advice on performing sedation and surgery from a new and inexperienced fishkeeper. These are delicate proceedures which demand care, confidence and expertise.

The girls have given sound advice and it would be a good idea to post up all your tank and water stats in the disease and diagnosis section so that we can first understand if there might be something bothering your fish, other than his oversize wen.

Hope to hear more from you soon.

:welcome

i remember koko had a fish i think it was mr.t his wen grew over his gills and he had a little trouble breathing but never had any problems. fish generally adapt quite well the wen should only be trimmed in extreme cases :) like the other members said there may be another problem to the bottom sitting

You have been given some sound advice - lets look at all the other reasons that may be affecting the fish's actions before trimming the wen.

Wen trimming can be done, but it is NEVER the final answer. The wen will regrow to its original proportions - in a healthy fish it will regrow within a matter of weeks.....

I think looking for a different solution is a much more permanent option.

Archived