Loud Filter

We had a power outage a few nights ago. I waited as long as I could but fell asleep before it came back on, so I didn't check on my tanks. When I got up all the filters were fine except for the aquaclear mini in my snail tank. It wasn't running. I refilled it and had to nudge the impellor to get it going again. Now it's working, but it rattles fairly loudly. I took it apart this morning and put it back together, but it's still loud. Any suggestions for it, or is it just fried?

Chrissy, I had the same thing happen to me with a Penguin filter. I took it apart, fiddled with it but it was still loud, and it would not fill with water. Also, the box containing the motor got really hot. I had planned on upgrading anyway, but still.... Needless to say, it is in a box in the closet. Not sure what happened? :idont

Guest Chicklette

I would give it another shot and take it apart again. Maybe clean it really good except for the media. Sometimes the motor needs a good cleaning.

• Admin

once a month i take the hose to the filter and suck out the gunk at the bottom of it to, keeping it clean :D

Its good to keep up w the filter, so much gunk gets in the bottom and the piller as a hard time keeping it going :(

Well I just totally dismantled/scrubbed the filter...and it's still the same :unsure:

It must be something internal in the motor. It's not unbearably loud or anything, just goes to show, you *really* shouldn't let them run dry!

Archived