Wondering About Deep Blue Water..

i was recently at the Aquarium of the Pacific and after seeing so many beautiful tanks i was curious how they get their water to be such a beautiful deep blue color. Does this color only come naturally in salt water, or can i get this color naturally in a freshwater tank somehow? i dont really think i will be able to get that in my 10gal freshwater tank, but i just thought i'd throw this question out there and see what you all think. just curious! =]

it has to do with the light on the water since these aquariums you saw are commercial display tanks they use actinic marine lighting to create the blue colour

oh yeah forgot to mention the reason when you go snorkeling or diving the water is blue as blue is the only colour spectrum which is able to penetrate through water all the other colours are reflected or absorbed by corals

Dan that was so interesting! :) I never knew that, seriously! Guess I should've been like you and paid more attention in school, lol!

Thanks for that bit of information!

our water is blue cause we have blue dye in the pond to prevent algae growth but the carbon in my filters usually remove the color but if I were to leave it all my tanks would look like that too

there's a product called bioblue from microlift and it can safely color water into a shade of blue :D some pond people use it to block out some light rays and to reduce some pond odors. this is usually used in ponds, so i dont really know if it's safe for goldies tank indoors :unsure:

http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Supplies/A...e-Lift-Bio-Blue

Archived