Ph Problems

Guest MommySam0618

Guest MommySam0618

I've used proper Ph 7.0 for YEARS. This is a new(er) tank, it has cycled and is doing really well other than the fact that I have a hard time getting the ph back up to 7.0. I use proper ph at water changes and it doesn't do anything! I have bought a differnent ph increase product and it works but I have to use a ton of it to get the ph to rise. Any suggestions?

There are numerous additives you can use to raise your pH (and subsequently the kH). Something as simple as baking soda can do the trick - but needs to be measured and added at each water change.

Another simple way is to simply drop a bag of crushed coral into your filter. As it slowly dissolves it will raise the pH of the tank.

• 2 weeks later...
There are numerous additives you can use to raise your pH (and subsequently the kH).

I bought a kH buffer a while back (I poseted about it somewhere) that's meant to be a pH stabilizer. It raises the kH and also brings the pH up pretty quick. You could buy something commerical like that if you want to be really accurate about it. Otherwise, crused coral does do wonders :D

If you don't want a coral substrate: (although that works great, it's hard to keep spotless over time)

Seachem's Alkaline Buffer brings up both PH and KH, and it stays in-between water changes so you don't have to redose.

Rick at goldfishconnection.com sells a similar product. (Just for you JOH!) :yeah:

Archived